• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

sound drivers help?

Started by sentofuno, July 05, 2003, 18:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sentofuno

hi all

everytime i get my pc back from the shop, they fix one thing and screw up another. this time it's my sound, i can't make this thing produce any sound at all.

what they did was move all the innards to a new box, nothing amazing. i'm trying to learn how to do this all myself but i need somewhere to start from, do any of you mind giving a new starter a helping hand? thanks!

edit: you need my stats?

win98

msi mn-6340m motherboard (no soundcard, it's intergrated)

pat

Do you know if they installed the drivers for the sound.
Open Device Manager and see if there are any yellow question marks next to any devices.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

sentofuno

i'm not sure if they installed anything, they swapped all my components from one case to another (things were overheating) but they also had to play around with some other stuff too, like changing the FSB

under device manager nothing has a question mark, but under 'sound, video and game controllers' there is only 'wave device for voice modem'

pat

Do you have the driver cd?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

miko

Your soundcard isnt installed.

You need to open the case and make sure it is seated properly, so give it a good push. leave the case off and restart the computer. if windows doesnt find a new device, then shut off again and move the soundcard to another pci slot. (if there are any free slots above it, put it in those first).

You simply cannot install the soundcard drivers until windows finds it, and windows isnt finding it as its not listed in device manager.

sentofuno

pat: no, there's another failing on my shop's part. i didn't even realise i was entitled to a win98 disc until i had my pc for 3 years.

i did get what i believe was the driver package from MSI's homepage, i'll try it again

miko: it can't be that, i don't have a soundcard. it's intergrated on the motherboard.

btw, next week i'll be taking my pc back AGAIN and getting a new motherboard. if i can get my sound up and running easily and quickly i'd like to, as i haven't been able to listen to music for 5 weeks. but if it's a big deal with no easy solution am i better off just waiting?

pat

Enter Bios setup and check to be sure that the on-board sound is enabled, it would be listed in the Advanced Chipset Features section. If it is just exit without saving if not change it to auto or enabled and save and exit.
Once you get back to windows, close all open programs including AV. Then install the sound drivers. Reboot the computer and see if you have sound.
Let us know how that goes.

sentofuno

i tried that just now, someone advised me to 'read the manual' but was more flowery-language about it :)

the chipset audio thing was enabled, but soundblaster and various sub-bits were disabled. i enabled all of them, but the installer/driver keeps crashing even if i ctrl+alt+del close down all programs. it says something about not having installed ac97 and direct sound briefly before i lose everything..

pat

sentofuno

from the second link, i've tried the top 2 downloads.

pat

Do you know for sure which sound chip is on your motherboard?
If it's the Creative? CT5880, you would need the 3rd driver the one for that chip.

sentofuno

i gathered from the manual that it was an 'optional' extra which i don't believe i have. infact that is the one thing i'm fairly certain about..

pat

Perhaps try going back into the BIOS setup and set the on-board sound to Auto, set the others back to what they were and try to install the drivers again.

sentofuno

it was originally set to auto and i tried installing both files when it was set that way. an error box asked me to change stuff in the BIOS, which i tried but to no avail..

pat

Ok, does anything different show up in device manager? Look under Other Devices also check under Sound, video and game controllers. What if anything is in those two areas?

sentofuno

there is nothing new under sound video game controllers, and i don't seem to have an 'other devices' option.

pat

The sound worked ok before you took it into the shop?

Looking through the manual, they also show a jumper to enable/disable on-board sound.
Take a look at your manual chapter 2 jumper J8.
Compare those pictures to how it is set on your board.

Short of that not being right the only other thing I can think of would be to clear the BIOS and reset to default and see if that makes a difference.

sentofuno

that's it!!! i can see the jumper, it's on 'disable onboard software audio'

so all i have to do is shut down my pc, move it across one and restart? i've heard talk about grounding yourself to prevent static shocks, if i grab a hold of my radiator while i'm switching it over will that be ok?

presuming this works (which i won't try until you reply) i have to thank you in advance for being of outstanding help pat. you're a star!

edit: or wait, the other option from the above is 'through cnr card' which i don't think i have.. the cnr slot is the very bottom slot on the MB, and it has nothing in it

pat

Yes, shut down the computer and reposition the jumper. You may also want to unplug unless you have a surge superuser. If you have a surge suppressor leave the computer plugged in and just turn that off.
Grounding yourself by touching the metal case of the power supply should be good.

sentofuno

pat, our efforts have been met with SWEET SWEET SUCCESS. i can listen to all my files again!

thank you so much for succeeding where the pc shop to whom i pay money have failed so many times.

pat

Glad to hear it worked out.
Feel free to come on back anytime.  :)