• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Spybot Botchup?

Started by Ace, September 11, 2005, 11:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Last week I did an update check on Spybot (1.3); on downloading the latest detection rules I got a "!!bad checksum" error.  I running Spybot from that point it would choke and cause a reboot near the end of the scan.  I just uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot 1.4 and upon doing the required update download got the same thing on the detection rules...  Anyone know what the deal is?  I did a search and found info on the Spybot server (default/US) overloading which causes the checksum error... I'm trying the .org site now, and it looks like it at least downloaded updates.

I'm using Webroot (Earthlink) and AdAware too.  Also Spyware Guard (although it's hard to see if actually do anything). Never had a problem before with Spybot failing within itself.  

Ace
Ring bells for service.

Carskick

Uninstall, then see if it leaves a program file with user data in it. If so, delete it. Then reinstall.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Ace

Thanks, Cars.  I got it to go by selecting the ".Org" server; and it ran ok then.  It did the usual bad checksum off the default one but took fine after selecting another (it's the 2nd tab; has Europe. Australia, and apparently two US locations).

Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Quote from: Ace on September 11, 2005, 11:45 hrs
Last week I did an update check on Spybot (1.3); on downloading the latest detection rules I got a "!!bad checksum" error.  I running Spybot from that point it would choke and cause a reboot near the end of the scan.  I just uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot 1.4 and upon doing the required update download got the same thing on the detection rules...  Anyone know what the deal is?  I did a search and found info on the Spybot server (default/US) overloading which causes the checksum error... I'm trying the .org site now, and it looks like it at least downloaded updates.

I'm using Webroot (Earthlink) and AdAware too.  Also Spyware Guard (although it's hard to see if actually do anything). Never had a problem before with Spybot failing within itself.  

Ace
I got the same song too, so I went to the link on Spybot and downloaded the update by "hand."  This problem persisted for several days.  Problem seemed to be corrected today.  Maybe that was a warning that I need to contribute again to the effort.   ::)

Neon

I have received the same error several times, most often when the updates are less than a day old. Just try a different update server.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

Did; done. Will do.  Once I found them (didn't see the 2nd tab was them, for awhile).  I like updates when they're fresh off the grill.  Hotbots.

Ace; Whiz, next time you give a donation give one for me, too.  Thanks.
Ring bells for service.