• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

My little ducting journey

Started by the sheeep, March 17, 2004, 21:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

the sheeep

well then yesterday i had gotten bored and decided to make a duct for my computer... what is was was a cardboard tube rolled up... at first with one fan it lowered cpu temps about 2 degrees...

i wasn't happy enough...

so i took a fan off a useless psu and stuck it in the duct and it lowered temps anywhere from 7 to 10 degrees... perdy good... but not sexy lookin...

http://www.xtremods.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=24183

so then i decided to make one that would be clear but it just didn't have the oomph... so then i made this one outta a one liter bottle of soda and it is perdy eh?

http://www.xtremods.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=24330
thats with the cc's

http://www.xtremods.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=24331
with just uv

for a free mod i think its pretty good... temps went from around 38-40 degrees celcius to from anywhere around 28 (sometimes even as low as 25) to 30 ish degrees celcius...

the green is some stretched out sleeving...

my idea if your ever gonna do a duct:

use multiple fans and get a powerful one then play around with the rpm's...

just my 2 cents...
www.2-a-d.com
...if only parents trusted kids with technology...

Shadow Lynx

Igloo

yeah, nice, i am getting a Xaser III and modding teh hell outta it
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Whizbang

The liter pop bottle is a great idea.  I used a sheet of scrapped acrylic from WalMart and made a square duct, but it took some careful cutting.  Your idea is much faster and still accomplishes the same thing.  For some unknown reason, the 2 MSI boards I have had do not stabilize on the temp readout, varying up to 6 degrees in a 10 second span; that is erroneous.  I have tried MSI's Core Center and Alfredo Milani-Comparetti's SpeedFan with almost identical readouts, but the usual CPU temp is about 100?F.  That is about 8 degrees lower than without the duct.

the sheeep

i cant understand why my computer runs so cool... i mean... my room isn't really freezing... i dont even have my two back fans on... just the top and the side and the duct, and im still running 27 degrees on the cpu and 35 on the case...

thats somehting like 80 degrees f. i think...
www.2-a-d.com

Whizbang

F? = 9/5 X C? +32

F? = 80.6?

That would be phenomenal.  Using a similar duct, as mentioned, mine is now running 100F? on the CPU with case temp at about 95F?.  You probably have a good outside cool air source to keep the CPU lower than the case temp.  The duct causes a blanketing effect that prevents case air from getting to the CPU.

Effective routing of the air is the main key to cooling.

Andrew S

I'm not sure if I should continue in this one, or start a new thread but here goes anyway

what exactly does ducting do? Does it really help all that much?  Where is the basic air duct supposed to go, whats the basic path?

Mark H

Ducting is a way to direct air to where you want it - usually the CPU. By ducting, the target area gets all of the air from a fan without it first getting heated by other components. It is like the ducting in a centrally heated or cooled home. The air is directed to the rooms where it is needed in the same way the air is directed to the CPU or other component.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Andrew S

the sheeep

also when ducting you need to try and keep the path as straight as possible... mine has two fans to increase the speed...

i think if you have a 90 degree angle it takes away 15% or something of the air flow...
www.2-a-d.com