• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Wireless vs LAN

Started by Bubba, May 13, 2009, 17:46 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Greetings,,,

What a weird thing I have,,, I have 2 pcs in my shop area. One is hardwired LAN/Ethernet to the modem/router 50 ft away, the 2nd is connected via wireless. Both work fine using the same mail account. But here is the mystery,,, when I swapped the hardwire internet pc, to a wireless it will not allow email to send or receive, but will connect to internet. I get a 'can't find pop3 address' deal,,,,,

No change in eamail properties/settings,,,, only change is going from hardwire to wireless,,, works fine again when I swap it back,,,,,,,

So:
one pc will get email using wireless or hardwire
the other pc will only get email using hardwire

Virus thing ????   

This was working fine,, then the other day it just started this behavier, so, something in the configuration changed,,,

adding to the mystery,,, my friend on the other side of town is having the same thing,,, he lost his wireless email on his one pc,,,, so I checked mine, and it lost wireless email, on one, but not both pcs.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

Both my shop computers are about 30 ft from router, has 90 plus signal strength,,, and,,, it does connect to the internet,,, unless mail uses some other kind of magical air waves to talk to router,,,,,internet browsing is unaffected, works no matter what,,, These two shop computers of mine are only 3 ft apart,, the one that works via hardwire and wireless, is the one further form router,,,, the pc that will not wireless email, but will hardwire email, is closer to router.

My friend, well his is in his garage/shop,, not much movement available  there,,,,

we are both using  WinXP Pro,,, and Frontiernet ISP,,,
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

Thanks JA,,, tough it is  !  If both pc's acted the same, it would be less of a mystery, but again, they sit next to each other, both have XP Pro, one will get email both ways, one will only get email via hardwire ISP connection. Mail configuration settings in outlook express must be correct, or neither would get mail at all,  "something" is telling Outlook Express mail in the one pc [ and my buddy's pc ] while using wireless, that it can not find the POP3 server,,,, ugh..... then there is the internet access,,,, works both ways on both pc's [ and my buddy's ]

will try a virus scan and SpyBot scan ,,, again,,,,