• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Black line when enter pressed in Word.

Started by Traveller, April 13, 2009, 01:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

As the subject line states, every time I press enter in Word (97), a black line appears all the way across the page (or all the way across a column). How do I make this go away?

It's only occurring in one document, which I created entirely myself; the rest of my docs and new docs are fine. Don't know if it's of any help, but the first part of the doc consists of tables, columns, tabs and page breaks.

Weird and annoying, however, coincidentally, this is a feature which I may well need for the next part of the doc, which I didn't even think was possible! Haha.

Another thing I would like to ask is whether or not it is possible to insert a page in the middle of an existing doc (a new page or a page from another doc) and also remove a page from the middle of a doc.

Thanks.

Bill

You might try, as a starter, to bring up the effected document and check the formatting after the line appears.  Not a Word expert but I believe Shift + F1 will show the formatting.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Traveller

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, nothing at all comes up. Thanks for the tip though; I had never heard of that before!

Bill

Does the black line show if you print the doc.?  Some formatting appears on the screen but doesn't print, like page breaks. 

Sounds like there is something like a macro earlier in the doc. that is causing this.  This frequently occurs with issues like spacing that don't show until the doc is printed or sent to someone else.  Typically these can be fixed by removing incorrect formatting.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Traveller

Hi Bill.

I don't know; the problem subsided before I could try a printout. The lines were also present it print preview though.

The thing that worked was that I did my work on a new document and then just copied and pasted the entire contents of that page onto the problematic page. Since I didn't have to press enter this way on the page, it worked.

I would have liked to known the reason for the problem, but now that it's gone, I'm in no hurry to have it return for investigation!

Thanks again Bill, for your help.