• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Firefox

Started by Carol, February 25, 2009, 17:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol

I've been using Firefox for a while, but since the newer version was installed it doesn't seem to work right on some sites I use.  I do a lot of genealogy and have always been able to look at the vital statistics for Nova Scotia.  Now when I go to view a record all I get is a little box to view a tiny portion of the record.  Also I can't save things from Ancestry like I was able to before.  And I dislike very much the way I have to do bookmarks.  Is it possible there is some kind of fix for this or can I go back to an older version?  Just seems like my computer hasn't been the same since the newer version.

Thanks for any help,
Carol
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Mark H

I haven't had any problems with Firefox, but I do see the value of using IE on occasion. It seems that IE does some things better than Firefox and vice Versa. Maybe you can give IE a chance to see if it works better for this application than firefox.

Mark H; Variety is good.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

I have had great success with Firefox, and I'm running the latest version. On occasion I'll have trouble with a particular website, in which case I use IE.

You might consider using the Firefox add on: IE Tab

IE Tab will open up a tab within Firefox, allowing you to use the troublesome web page in IE.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carol

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately it doesn't work much better with IE.  I had already tried that.  It will show me the whole box on IE but you have to zoom in and move it around to see it as I used to have to do also in the older Firefox.  But it is so sluggish and hard to move around on IE that after looking at one record I'm ready to quit.  IE does save the Ancestry stuff a little better but not as nice as when I was using the older Firefox.  All I get with the newer Firefox is a bunch of code.  This has sure slowed down my family history work.  Eric's solution a while back was to put Chrome on my computer, but it won't work at all on that site.  Didn't try it with Ancestry.

Thanks,
Carol
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Bill

Carol,
What version are you using now and what was the version that worked for you?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Carol

The version I'm using now is 3.0.6.  I'm really not sure what the older version was.  I have used it for a long time and just automatically update to the newer versions as they come along.  Eric may know, and I can ask him later.

Thanks,
Carol

Bill

Older versions of Firefox are available here:

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

I have not tried to reinstall an older version and you may have to save your bookmarks separately.  Reverting may not pickup your data from a later version.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Carol

Thank you Bill.  I think I will try to go back to an older version.  I think I will be much happier with it, at least for now. 

Thanks,
Carol

Bill

Please let us know if that works.

Thanks.