• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007

Started by JimS, January 09, 2009, 12:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JimS

Hello, everyone, Happy New Year!

I've recently upgraded to Office 2007, and I'm having some problems with conditional formatting in Excel 2007.  I have two columns of data, N and I.  Some of the cells in column I are empty/blank, and the conditional formats are in column N.  For example, if I2*1.05 is greater than the value of N2, I want N2 to be boldfaced red.  If I2 is empty/blank, I want the format of N2 to be unchanged.  The first conditional format, "if I2*1.05 is greater than N2, then the N2 value is boldfaced red" is easy, but what is the syntax for "if I2 is empty/blank, then leave N2 formating unchanged?"

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Mark H

For blank in Excel, you use quotation marks. It would look something like:

If I2="" would be the condition statement and your formatting statement would likely be set to whatever your spreadsheet standard look you set.

I use Office 2003, but it should be much different for fomatting.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

JimS

Thanks, Mark, and sorry for not replying sooner - just too dang busy.  And as soon as I read your poast - dangit again - I remembered about the double quotes.  The problem is, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.  Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be...

Thanks again.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet