• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Password Access in XP

Started by mbaldw, December 22, 2008, 05:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi folks,

I was asked a question today that I'm not sure the answer to, so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to enlighten me.   Is it possible to run XP Home as an administrator and have it ask you for a password each time something tries to install?   I believe there's a similar function in Vista, and running my Linux lappie under 'normal user' requests a password for any config changes or installations.   Having Googled the problem, I have found various bits of software that proclaim to do the job (e.g. Stop Software Installation Tool), but I'm wondering if XP has something built-in that could do this?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Marc.

Mark H

You can set up Windows XP with an administrator account and password protect it. Windows XP does not have a built in function to require a password before something installs. If you are logged in as an administrator anyone can install anything. It is better to use a non administrator account with a password for everyday use. You would then not be permitted to install anything that writes to the registery unless you logged in as an administrator.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

mbaldw

Thanks Mark.   That was my initial thought: that they should have an admin account and run as a limited user.   The response was that several of their programs didn't run properly in on a limited account.   Any idea whether some of the non-MS software (like Stop Software Installation) might do the job instead?

Cheers,
Marc.

Mark H

To get a limited account to work with programs, turn it into an administrative account, install the programs and then put it back to a limited account. This helps when the programs stores files specific to the user.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.