• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Old PC, Linux, and a network file share server

Started by Allie-Baba, July 12, 2006, 15:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

So - I have this old PC with currently a bad HD sitting around. It's an HP junker PIII as I recall.

I'm thinking of turning it in to a simple LINUX file server backup system on my home network for PCs.  I'm thinking this way because I theoritically would not have to purchase the OS - while trying to install an OS, Win 98?, that isn't supported any longer may not be the best approach.

Ideas/Opinions?

I'm pretty much a LINUX newbie - so that may be one limitation, but I won't mind learning if I can muster the time.

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Buffalo2102

There are plenty of poasts here from Whizbang who has sampled just about every flavour of Linux known to man.  I am sure that he can recommend something suitable.

For me, I would start with something nice and easy to install like Xandros or Ubuntu.  Or you could be even more hesitant and try Knoppix running it from a CD.  That way you could "suck it and see" without even installing anything.

If you are braver than most (and have plenty of time), you can just download all of the free versions and try them one at a time until you find one you like.  I would advise that you check out the available support before making a final decision though.  As a newbie on Linux you will need some help at some point so a popular distribution with plenty of community support in the form of forums, FAQs and How To's is essential.

Thinking about it, you  may be better off approaching this from the other angle and doing a Google for "Linux backup server" or something like that and you will probably find plenty of forum poasts etc. about how others have built theirs and what distribution they used.

Hope this helps.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Whizbang

Kanotix and Vector have been the most friendly to me.  See DistroWatch.  Both are also available in Live CD versions that boot up from the CD's or DVD's and require no hard drive installation, even for online browsing.  You also may be able to save files to a peripheral drive such as a USB flashdrive from live versions.

Buffalo2102

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.