• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

CD-ROM support

Started by abseh1, January 17, 2004, 22:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

abseh1

I wonder if anybody ever had this problem?
When I try to start my used computer, that I recently purchased, with the Win 98 boot disk I can get to the A prompt and do scandisk ect. but only if I select: Start without CD-ROM support.

If I try with CD-ROM support, it goes to a total of 9 lines of text, then the floppy just stops and I get 16 rectangular colored boxes,( each box is approx. 1/4" wide by 1/2" high. Four are blue and the rest are white. They are scattered all over the screen.

The computer works, the CD-ROM and the floppy work in Windows 98. Just the same, I tried another CD-Rom and another floppy. But there is no difference.

What could possibly cause something strange like that?

query

How old is the system, and what type of CD-ROM does it have (IDE, SCSI)?

abseh1

It is an older win98....ide drive

Chandler

Have you tried making a new boot floppy from Windows?

abseh1

yes even a cd boot...but it cannot find the cdrom drive

query

Try downloading a boot image from www.bootdisk.com.  Are you sure your system is virus-free?

abseh1

[Try downloading a boot image from www.bootdisk.com.  Are you sure your system is virus-free?]
Is that the same as a bootdisk...I've been to that site...but not sure what boot image means?
RE: Virus I just got the computer...I was trying to put Win ME on Top

query

Yes, download an image of a boot diskette and make the diskette on another system.

If the hard drive was blank, there should be no worries about a virus or worm.  

abseh1

Tks ...but I've made 3 different bootdisks..including a cd boot disk...it stops & will not find the cd rom dive

pat

Does the CD drive show up in BIOS?
Does the drive spin up when you insert a disk?
Have you checked the cables to be sure of a good connection?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

abseh1

Shows in BIOS etc...I haven't been in the case

query

Check the data cable and jumper(s), particularly if there is another drive on the same chain.  If that doesn't help, replace the data cable, and if that doesn't help, replace the drive.  

If there are still problems, the onboard controller could be faulty - you can try a PCI card to run the CD-ROM drive, or replace the mainboard.

abseh1

Thanks vey much for your time/help