• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Processor transplant?

Started by 486sxProcessor, December 03, 2003, 15:03 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

486sxProcessor

I have a Packard Bell computer with the 486sx chip in it  :(  Is there a way to transfer a Pentium processor over to it and change it out? The 486sx chip isnt saudered on it can come off. I might be bringing home a  old NEC computer with a pentium processor. I have done so much work to the packard bell  but it cant take 98 i need a higher processor! So is it possible to do a processor transplant?  the pentium is only one generation ahead of the 486sx. is there any hope of doing it? if not how do  i overclock my computer?

Chandler

The Pentium uses Socket 5 (or Socket 7) which is incompatible with 486 sockets (Socket 3 and 4 I think).

query

There is one Pentium OverDrive for 486, but it's not a standard Pentium CPU - a standard one will not work on a Socket-3 or -4 board.

486sxProcessor

Chandler

I don't know, but there's no benefit in overclocking a 486SX.  The Pentium architecture is a generation ahead of the 486 and so a 100MHz Pentium outperforms a 100MHz 486, even if you overclock the processor, its going to be nowhere near minimum speeds.  I believe that the SX also lacks a maths co-processor and so this makes it slower still.

You may be able to run Windows 95 on that machine; at school I remember we "resurrected" an old 486SX with 4MB RAM that sat in the corner of the computer room.  It wasn't quick, but it worked.

query

By raising the bus speed or multiplier on the CPU to push it beyond its rated capacity.

The concept of multipliers arrived with the second-generation Pentium CPUs - it's just about impossible to overclock a 486 or early Pentium CPU.

Chandler

If you really want to install Windows 98 on that machine, you can use the /nm switch to disable processor checking (Win98 setup checks for a CPU with maths co-processor by default).

So type SETUP /nm in DOS to install.

486sxProcessor

Thanks ! I installed windows 98 :D its running smoothly and isnt too slow  thanks for telling me that.