• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ace's Buttery Flutterball

Started by Ace, June 15, 2006, 17:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Hey you... if you need a power supply let me know. I'll send you a good working unit that you can use.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Well, no more flirtin' with disaster.  It's here.

Opened it up to test each RAM stick separately.  Did the first of the "old timers" and it tested fine.  Pulled it and installed the other 256 Corsair, that I bought after original setup.

And then:  nada.

PC will not boot.  It gives 2 beeps, then 3 beeps.  Then nothing.  The LED by the power plug to the mobo "flickers".  HD light goes on, clicks.  Goes off, comes on, goes off permanently.  Power light on the front flickers during all this, then stays on.  

I swapped out the power supply;  no difference.  Both case fans work, and continue to work.  The CPU fan spins.  All connections seem fine.  Would seem power is going to things ok.  

I've tried every possible RAM configuration, and makes no difference.  Believe I did smell a burning, when I set up for the 2nd memtest.  But nothing obvious or distinct (stinked).  

Naturally not at home, now...  Will check in tomorrow to see if anyone has any suggestions (don't bother with "Geez, Ace, you're sc_____."  I already used that one.  And, no, that doesn't mean "Geez Ace, you're Scuzzy."  If I was, I'd have more power supplies.  Maybe if I hooked them BOTH up...

Ace; and I don't even refer to myself as Ace...
Ring bells for service.

Bill

A quick scan of the Gigabyte stuff suggests you have AMI brand BIOS.  
The beep codes- 2 short followed by 3 short - indicate a memory problem.

If by chabce your BIOS are Phoenix, 2 short followed by any combination suggests bad memory.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

saoirse

First up, clear the CMOS and try again.  I remember an old board I had that beeped and refused to POST whenever I changed anything, be it RAM, adding a hard disc etc.  Worth a shot.

Secondly, I'm going to put my neck on the board and suggest a mainboard replacement.  It's possible you have two faulty RAM modules there or, you have damaged memory slots.  The exceptions, the reboots (whilst under memory intensive applications) all point in this area.  If you can test the modules in another system, all the better (I'm not sure this option is availble to you?)

Although your system itself was running a little on the hot side, the memory dumps suggested the underlying cause.  Unfortunately, Ja's first poast may turn out to be your most logical course of action.

saoirse      

Carskick

I agree, sounds like bad memory, although 80C or higher is pushing the safety zone of the CPU. I would try to upgrade the fan, heatsink, or both. Blow off the dust, and replace the stick of RAM that does not allow the computer to boot when it is the only one in place. Your power supply voltages are not far enough off the mark to cause issue if the readings are correct. I've only seen issues on the 12v rail when it varies by almost a volt.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

pat

If all else fails, I could let you borrow my secondary system until you get back on your feet. It?s not as fast as the one you have, but it might get you through until you get another.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Well, it's tomorrow...

Spent a long time with the Monarch tech I'd been emailing; I had already changed out the battery Sunday but we did that again to reset CMOS.  Weird thing I found is that the Clear CMOS has 3 pins (exposed) but no jumper, cap...  Couldn't tell that was IT by comparing to the board photo.

Figuring at least one of the sticks is ok (and likely the one I did get tested...) it definitely points to the first DIMM slot itself.  You're right, Bill; he figured the beep pattern (sometimes it's 2, sometimes 3...  once it did one.  But always followed by 3, then silence) so per BIOS interpreted as memory problem.  Both case fans (front and backside) work, CPU fan works, video card fan works.  Thanks for the cleaning tips; I vacuumed it out but will try the swabbing.  Then huff and puff and...

Found 1 (one...) slot A oldstyle board locally, for $99.  And it was 8x AGP which isn't preferable (I had to explain to the techie the voltage changes, per rendition, for video adapters, from 3.3 to 1.5 to .8... Geez).  I'll shop online to see if there's a configuration I could get(cheap).  Other option would be a barebones CPU/board combo, and try to use whatever else I can (card, memory...).  Still going to buy a new one anyway, but would like to get this back to life for convenience (and to help shopping...!).  Thanks for the spare offer, Pat.  Hopefully today will show what's next.  

Ace; really crashed, really burned.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

Nope; I asked about that at a local tech shop and they said it wouldn't matter...  I have no idea what the jumper should/would look like.  I'll ask when I go out for the contact cleaner; having never seen it I really don't know what I'm looking for or how it was (once) set...

AC/DC
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I could be wrong but taking the battery out has the same effect as fooling with the jumper thingy.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Right; and I've done that several times, now.  Where I'm at a loss if trying to figure what WAS the jumper as there is now NO jumper on those 3 pins that look to be the Clear CMOS.  They're just exposed, on the board.  So I don't know if I need to locate a jumper (and don't know really what that would have been, or resemble) or if (as told) it doesn't affect anything anyway...

ac
Ring bells for service.

Bill

If you can tell me the gigabyte mobo model, maybe we can check the site for a manual.

The jumper itself is simply a small piece of metal covered with plastic that will accept 2 pins.  It makes an electrical connection between the pins.  Some mobos require that the jumper be in place between say pin 1 and 2 to operate, some do not.

Ace

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (rev. 2).  I've got a full color pictorial plus the manual, but it's not distinct enough to see what it was/should be.  Just the 3 bare pins, which must be "it."

AD/AC
Ring bells for service.

Bill

My gigabyte manual has specific instructions for clearing the cmos.  I will go explore.

Bill

Bill

There is a caveat in the manual that says the diagram shown with the jumper in place for the 'clear cmos' function  is for GA-7VRXP ver. 1.1

The manual is silent on ver. 2.

I think the jumper is unnecessary for ver.2  I also think it unlikely that you accidently removed the jumper when you were cleaning.  I would proceed without fooling with the clear cmos pins.

If you can get the machine to boot with a known good stick of memory, go in to the BIOS and load the default settings.  YOu can change them later if necessary.

Ace

Well, I am SO glad you found that...  That would explain where it went to (nowhere).  I was going to try one of the local distributors again, to see if they may have a jumper of unknown origins.

Not a lot out there for an ATX Socket A.  I presume a microATX board don't fit an ATX configuration...  Found an Epox at TigerDirect, with a (new) CPU fan, but it's 8x AGP and so far can't pin down if it's also 4X...  New Egg had some "reconditioned" one, naturally cheap.  Got some contact cleaner and will pop this puppy so full of air it'll float when I get home.

Ace; and then I'll kick it.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Slamming it against the wall might loosen some of the dirt as well.

Bill; I'd take off the curly shoes first.

scuzzy

Ace, are you able to check your personal email? If so, the mobo I offered is slot a, 4x agp.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

freelance

a micro atx board will fit fine its jst smaller on physicall size and usually has less pci (white) slots on it.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Ace

Right now I can access the Yahoo; I'm getting the other one set as we speak...

I did do an air pump and spray and wash, but no difference.  Will try that a few more times (nothing to lose...).  I did find some micro ATX at New Egg but just didn't want to run into a hassle with the install.  

I'm going to see if I can track down a mention on the Epox board doing 4X as well as 8X AGP.  Will watch for news along other fronts...

Dusty Hill
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Have you tried putting the system in the dishwasher? I hear that works well.

Before switching out motherboards, I'd suggest that you reseat the RAM. It is a definite possibility that the RAM isn't fully seated. I've learned through experience that you have to make EXTRA sure that the RAM has a good connection. The tabs locking on each side is not sufficient to ensure a good connection.

Ace

Look... I've practically sat on thing.  And I won't go into details of what I did with that tack hammer...  

Yeah, I know what you mean on the clips popping up but no one's home.  Plus, I've been reseating this thing with all 3 sticks in various positions.  I think JA mentioned something about trying a tiny orifice, too.  I have.  Naturally, I redid it again today after the spray and wash...  And will again, I'm sure.  

I'll probably be incommunicado tomorrow (I'm off...) but will try to check news weather and email Thursday.  Problem is I don't want to come in to use the computer when I'm not in, if you know what I mean.  Blows the whole point of "PTO."

Ace; wish I could find a really dusty used motherboard...
Ring bells for service.

Ace

It crashed - it burned - it's been reborn!

Here's where I'm at with it, as sort of a "end it all" program:  After having installed a different Socket A mobo kindly sent to me by Scuzzy's cat Alex, I have my pc back to life.  After a failed attempt at repairing Windows (wouldn't start Windows, any other way) I wound up reinstalling (over) Windows, not a fresh complete new install.

Wound up creating a new profile, and also returned to my old one.  Had to activate Windows (by phone).  Both profiles "work"; new one is trimmed down, old one has old desktop and programs... Had a bothersome "unknown device" error; finally cleared that with old system CD (apparently sound device/driver).  I love that it says it sees an unknown thing and asks if you have a disk for the thing you don't know.  Hard to answer that....

Problems at this point:
1. No DVD player function.  Lights up, drawer works, recognized in BIOS and shows as operating ok in device manager.  But nothing in it plays (no auto play) and reads like nothing's in it if there is.  CD/RW player works, so can get to a disk that way.  Had to use it (E) to reinstall the Windows CD as the D won't work.

2. Lost MS Word, somehow...  Get an error trying to load it or call up a doc with it.  Have WordPerfect as ok, still.  But it won't handle any Word docs (unrecognized format).

3. No internet connection.  Using old Earthlink fails, and can't change location to make a difference or do a new connection...  Going through Network in Control Panel to set a new one will not allow the option to set up a dial up connection!  Only choice it gives is last one, for Broadband.  
Probably related:
Moved the modem to a different PCI slot, that had more room, on new board.  System recognized it, and old (first slot) one as disabled.  Cleaned out old, but still no internet dial up.  Reset it to first slot (recognized anew).  Cleaned out old, leaving just it.  Still no dial up ability.  

Where I'm going:  due to no DVD, no dial up, some damage to existing stuff anyway, I'm thinking I will need to do a FRESH new install of Windows.  As that should (?) find DVD, set up new connection, clean out the cobwebs...  I'm going to be giving this away to my brother in law, so ok to reset programs.  Also, gotta figure only way I can possibly have a chance to regain my dial up for awhile, to be able to shop.

Sound right?  Wrong?  Appreciate confirmation or argument...  

Ace; so far, the CPU is cooler, too.  
Ring bells for service.

Neon

Hmm, should I answer with confirmation or argument? ...

After the motherboard is changed in a system, and once you have backups of your important unreplaceable data, I will confirm that it is usually best to freshly install Windows. Broom out the cobwebs and all.

It sounds like most of the remaining issues are related to installation of drivers.

1. To watch the DVD, I will argue that you will need DVD software .

2. How badly do you need MS Word? Have you tried Open Office lately? I will argue that it has made great strides, and is maybe 90% compatible, although it has some trouble with Word macros.

3. The modem driver needs to be installed.

You may confirm that each of these will need to be done whether or not you reinstall Windows.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

I didn't have any drivers for the US Robotics modem on the original CD...  I do have a "PowerDVD" software I installed, but that wasn't in place for the initial operation of this unit (anyway).  I've been trying all manner of disks in the "DVD" drive (system, burned, game) and it doesn't recognized ANYthing in it, so isn't just a DVD "show" problem.  Drivers show as present for modem (MS sys 32).  

I did run into some comments about having to reinstall Service Pack 1, to cure the no-dialup option in the Network Connections wizard. (news:) Just installed Service Pack 2 and NOW I have security center and all that, AND Earthlink Total Acess is trying to connect but NOW I'm getting a modem error message from it; either something else is using port or it's not working.  Went to Network Connections; mine now shows, but disconnected.  Got a port error message (633?) saying either something's already using that or it's not working.  

Should I;
1. Uninstall modem, reinstall modem?
2. (Physically) uninstall, reinstall?  
3. Mess with drivers?  
4. Set up a new connection?  I now have the dial up option in the Network Connections wizard.

Ok.. geez criminy.  I moved the dang Roboto back over a slot, and played with the plug, and I NOW HAVE the DANG MODEM workKING.
Huh.

So right now, only thing DOA is the DVD.  I shall move my attention, to that.

I've got MS Office, so will install that on my new one, anyway.  Just noting one of the things that's glitched since the transplant.

Ace; shouldn't have gone with that "Abby" brain...
Ring bells for service.

Ace

A report on my DVD Rom.  On new mobo and reinstall of Windows the Lite-ON DVD/CD ROM (top. master) lights and drawers but will not spin or recognized media, whether CD or DVD or any.  Shows as "operating ok" in all views, and no drivers to update from anywhere here.

In failing to find it listed on Lite-ON's site, emailed tech support on it.  Got the link to firmware for it.  Downloaded, unzipped and installed it today.  Now shows in Device Manager by number ID, but still no difference in its not reading media.

It shows as the second (bottom..) unit in Device Manager.  Is that right/ok?  Does that matter?  Have never moved the ribbon IDE connectors from it and the CD/RW; just the plug into mobo.  Can't even try cleaning it since it won't do ANY disk.

Would it make sense to try the DVD off the other IDE plug on the ribbon (now in the CDRW) to see if it would work from it?  Can't figure why it would "die" coincidentally while the original mobo went under...

The CDRW works fine; reads and burns.

Ace; if it ain't one thing...
Ring bells for service.

Allie-Baba

You could try that.

Do you have your devices set for Master/Slave or Cable select?
I tend to have the best experiences with Setting master/slave. Csel seems to have problems sometimes.

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Ace

Shhh... I don't think we can talk about slavery and masters and that sorta thing.  Although I gotta say, if Lincoln had really lived that whole thing mighta come out differently...

Ok; on with the show:  I've never changed what they are; just reconnected to a new power supply, and to the new mobo.  I'll check that when I get to yanking their cords.

Ace; cords. Not chains.  I treat them as equals to any other optical device I own.  Although I'm about ready to kick this one over to Murphy's house.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Now, now. Its been a good a faithful servant for lo these many years.
It's just tired and letting you know expiration is at hand.

Bill

Ace

OK LOOK I DO NOT HAVE BROKEN STUFF ON MY COMPUTER DANGIT BECAUSE IF i HAVE BROKEN STUFF THEN i GET RID OF IT BECAUSE IT'S BROKEN sEE? SO THERE IS NO WAY SOME BROKEN DANG DVD PLAYER IS

Ok.  hold it a minute.  Just a second...  Hmm..

Well.  I did check the BIOS sequence, which is sound.  And reinstalled the firmware, again.  And everything reads just Peachy.  And yet, still no recognition of any information.

Somehow, I feel I can relate to this thing.  

Ace; it cannot die until I SAY it can die.  Stupid dead thing.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

See how you are? You go flashing your equipment, then you act surprised when they quit working.

Scuzzy; now we know what really happened to the 3 Blind Mice