• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Networking Problem.

Started by Aaron_T, October 11, 2005, 11:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron_T

Hi, i just purchased a wireless router with 2 wireless adapters because i wanted to network 2 computers.

I set it all up ok and it works, i can connect to the internet, browse web pages etc..

Iam faced with a few problems, for starters my MSN Messenger 7.5 will not stay online for more than around 5-10 minutes, it loses the connection and then has to re-connect, how can i stop this?

another problem i'm having is with a program called Ares (Filesharing Program) i know you guys dont deal with these types of programs but this one is legal, so i thought it would be ok, the problem is that it doesnt connect for like 15 minutes after i turn it on, another problem is when i'm on it my downloads do not connect half the time.

I have heard of port forwarding, but not sure about this, my PC is the one furthest from the router and i'm not sure if i can make these changes from my PC.

please help.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

POTATOES!

query

Have you checked the signal strength over time to see if it's just a weak connection?

Have you looked in the event logs to see if the connections are being dropped?

Do you have a firewall that might be mis-configured?

wonderings

Is this consistently dropping every 10 min? or is it random? My cousin had a problem with her router, it dropped everytime the phone rang. It was a cordless phone and somehow interferred with her wireless connection.
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

Whizbang

Here is a site that specializes in Port Forwarding, but I do not think the disconnection problem would be solved by fine tuning ports.  My guess is that you need a directional antenna to focus your signal and reduce interference.  You can purchase directional antennas for less than $30.00 that have flat panel arrays of about 5 X 7 inches and can be directed at the router from the wireless computer receiver.  The pole antenna is removed and replaced with the panel.  Since you have two wireless setups, the possibility might be limited by not being able to have another directional antenna at the main router.  I hesitate here because I do not know how dual pole antenna routers are configured.  If each pole antenna is the same, you could then have another directional antenna replace each of these pole antennas and direct the signal to each of the two computers.  I use two super-directional outside antennas to send signal to and from my daughter's house about 300 feet away with 90% signal integrity and have had no dropped connections since installing the antennas.

You should have a signal strength monitor that was installed with the wireless setup.  If not, XP has one that should give you an idea of how firm the connection is.  In order to stay connected, you really need a consistent signal that is always at least in the good range.  Keep the monitor displayed on screen until you get a disconnect so you can see what you have in signal strength just before bailout.

popeye

Just for jollies, along with all the other excellent  suggestions. Put your router on something at the highest point in the room. Even a ladder for a test setup.
Would the ocean be deeper if there were no sponges?

Aaron_T

sorry i took so long to reply, right thanks for the replies people im still getting some problems, my connection still (rarely) stops working at all but i'm still getting problems with my speeds dropping all the time, it always seems to be in the evening when the speeds drop i would say anywhere after about 7pm or this COULD just be my imagination.

i havent really tested my download speeds when this happens i just judge it off how fast the pages load in firefox, it literally took me about 2 minutes to load up my homepage when it would normally not take more than 5 seconds.

as for the firewall question iam using Zonealarm Pro, im not really sure how to configure this program properly its mostly just guess work, but both of my PC's on the network are using this firewall.

i'm also using avast antivirus just in case that helps, i do use a cordless phone also.

more help wpuld be great people, im chuffed with the replies.  :)
POTATOES!

Whizbang

I have noticed the same peculiarity.  I suppose an increase in microwave and cell phone usage at that time of the evening could be a factor, but my directional antennas virtually eliminated that problem.

popeye

How was DSL connection when you were wired?

Aaron_T

before i went onto the wireless network i just had the one PC and it was running great i was hitting the peak of the speed i was paying for so its not a problem with my actual connection.

the signal on this computer varies between 75% and 95% never seen it go lower than that.

edit: connection just timed out 5 minutes ago then i restarted PC and now its working again but stil very slow.
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Just to eliminate some variables, I would do a spyware check, and an antivirus would not be out of order.  75% is plenty signal.  There is obviously something else that is creating the instability.

Aaron_T

well i did spyware and antivirus checks and it didnt turn up any results, on both PC's.

but on oneof the PC's im getting this weird command window when i connect to the internet is says something like "ntlow.exe" is not a recognized command.

it says the same message for something else "mmxateam.exe" i have no idea what the problem is, but at this precise second the internet is working fast like it used to but i know within minutes it will be going slow again, its so annoying, dont know what to do.
POTATOES!

Bill

Both of those files turn up nothing in a Google search, which leads me to believe they are bogus.  Try a different spyware and virus scanner.  Maybe for starters, try the Trend micro, on the left side of this page, on line.  Its free and might catch something your regular A/V programs miss.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Whizbang

Also, run MSCONFIG and look under the Startup tab for any critters.

Aaron_T

i'll try that stuff you guys just suggested, i'll let you know what happens,.

p.s internet working at tip top speed.... but for how long... no-one knows..
POTATOES!

popeye

Are you trying one p.c. at a time to possibly isolate problem?

Whizbang

Quote from: Aaron_T on October 17, 2005, 17:06 hrs
well i did spyware and antivirus checks and it didnt turn up any results, on both PC's.

but on oneof the PC's im getting this weird command window when i connect to the internet is says something like "ntlow.exe" is not a recognized command.

it says the same message for something else "mmxateam.exe"
I suspect that you have a foreign invader.  The reason for the error messages may be that the virus or trojan is not working or is being hindered by protection software on your computer.  If it is indeed something that is attempting to access the Internet, there should be some residue in the Startup folder.  If that does not reveal it, you may need to go the tedious route of running HiJackThis to see the rest of the picture.

Aaron_T

ok now something really weird is happening, im getting strange windows coming up as if im searching for something, but i havent searched for anything.

somethings not right, i cant re-install windows either as this PC was given to me without the discs.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

downloaded trojan guarder (which has always help to no end in the past) doesnt seem to function correctly, i wouldnt really expect things like this to happen when i have avast, zonealarm and my apparent built in firewall with the router  ???
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Definitely look under the Startup tab as mentioned before.  This sounds like it may be an undocumented villain, which could be why it was not detected.  Do not delay.  Some of the newer variants actually are programmed to mutate to cover their tracks.

Quoteok now something really weird is happening, im getting strange windows coming up as if im searching for something, but i havent searched for anything.
This has all the markings of a browser hijacker.  SpyBot is designed to immunize against this but is not nearly as effective in eliminating the problem after the malware is installed.  Do as I suggested by running MSCONFIG from the Startup--->Run box and check the Startup tabbed folder for anything unusual.  A good guess is that it is a variant of CW  Search and will need to be removed with CWShredder free utility.  There are well over 200 variants of CWS and growing.  It is installed in the background from infected sites without your knowledge.  Antiviruses are not generally effective against it.  Only Grisoft AVG antivirus has been proven to be a fair protector against it because of AVG's heuristic analysis that flags unusual activity.  The hijacker piggybacks on a web page load.  That is why it is difficult to catch.  Nonetheless, there would be an executable somewhere that activates it.  Do not try to remove it by experimentation.  Doing so could damage your registry unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Quotedownloaded trojan guarder (which has always help to no end in the past) doesnt seem to function correctly.
Browser hijackers are also programmed to make anti-trojan software ineffective.  They also often block any help sites from URL searches.  I am a bit surprised that we have not had any poasts regarding Poasters forum being blocked.  I guess we are not yet identified as a threat to hijacking.  Or, maybe most of those needing help can't get here.  ::)

I highly recommend installing SpyBot for innoculation against pests such as these.

Aaron_T

ok, installed spybot, downloaded all the updates, scanned the PC and apparently found no problems, it didnt really seem like it scanned properly to me it seemed to say all was fine within seconds.

i think i'm in way over my head here with this, i dont know what to do.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

just ran spybot again and fixed 37 problems, probably not sorted but i suppose its better than nothing.

still have the problem about the internet though, might try one of those antennas or something.
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Run MSCONFIG and check for Startup .exe files that are not legitimate.  Copy the contents and poast here.

Aaron_T

things that i'm not sure about are:

NvCpl- run32.dlll program.

and theres something else called p_981116

apart from that everything is normal.

my internet connection just went dead at 10 minutes ago, had to unplug and re-plug the router to get it to work again :(

POTATOES!

Aaron_T

ive had to unplug and re-plug the router 4 times since the last the last time i posted, connection keeps going off all the time, it doesnt have anything to do with broswer hijacking or anything like that because the other PC which is networked doesnt have any of those sorts of problems and the same thing happens on that one.

its too late to take the router back so i guess i'll just have to keep it and then just buy a different one when ive saved the money back up.

nothing ever goes the way i want it to  ??? :(

every night i come home expect to use the PC to build my website (for A-Level) and every night i end up getting stressed trying to work out whats wrong.

thanks for the help though everyone you guys have tried your best for me  ;)
POTATOES!

popeye

nvcpl.dll is a library file for NVIDIA display adapter

p_981116 "remnants from a DX6 upgrade"

Sound harmless with your problem.

Whizbang

You can uncheck the p_981116 in Startup.  This problem is obviously a combination of the trash you removed and possibly a hardware or signal problem.  The router could be a problem.  Unfortunately, I know of no way to check it without replacing it.  I have a regular DSL router in line with my ADSL access modem/router that I use for branching the network.

popeye

You say "to late to take it back" did you register it for warranty? Is there a warranty? Have you looked on mfgs. website for known problems or fixes or flashes? Who is mfg. and what is model?

Whizbang

There is also the possibility that an Internet-connected program or peripheral is kicking you off.  I had to reboot my router setup when I had an incorrect printer port setting that was interfering with my router connection and would kick the computer off line.  Have you tried just connecting one of the computers at a time to see if the connection is affected?  If the problem is not universal, and at least wireless unit will work by itself, the problem may not be the router but a configuration or IP address conflict.

Back to Query's point:  You need to set the firewall to accept the complete range of IP addresses for the three computers.  There is a Trusted Zone window for that.  Put in the complete range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.103.  I do not know if that is part of the current problem, but if the IP addresses are set by automatic DHCP, the complete range needs to be typed in.  Also, turn off Windows-based firewall with Zone Alarm operative.

Aaron_T

ok, network went competely dead and wouldnt work at all, but at the same time my dad was using the net on the other PC perfectly, so maybe it is the broswer hijacker.

anyway to combat the problem of the internet not working on (my PC) i reinstalled the USB adapter and the internet is working fine for now, not sure how long it will last though.

and p.s im sorry for bugging all you guys all the time, it just turns out im not as good with computers as i first thought.
POTATOES!