• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Installation Problems.

Started by Aaron_T, September 18, 2005, 12:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron_T

Ok heres the story its long i know but i really need help

Ok i have windoxs xp home edition and the PC was running a bit sluggish, so i decided to reinstall, however the installation process didnt go how i had planned and said it ouldnt copy some files during setup and that it could be  problem with the Xp CD but i have checked the CD on my mates PC and it works fine.

But anyway it wouldnt work so i decided to reformat the hard drive and make a new installation, now the installation said the same thing about not being able to copy some setup files from the disc, i chose to ignore these warnings and installed Xp and everything seemed fine.

But first of all i tried to install Nero 6 and it came up wth an error screen saying that there was an error during the copy process and couldnt find the file specified, the disc is my own it is NOT a copy in any way.

Then my friend gave me a copy of ACID pro, and during the installation it says something about a CRC mismatch, the mismatch message has happened more than once.

what should i do?  ???
POTATOES!

slaxorz

First try reseating the ide cable for the drive and if that doesnt fix it clean the drive with a disc cleaninc um disc.  If that fails as well try using anothing cdrom and see what happens.

Aaron_T

I really dont think that is the problem, i have two CD-ROM drives installed and both of them have the same outcome.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

by the way i forgot to say sometimes the CRC mismatch error also comes up on files ive downloaded from the internet.
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Run memtestx86 from download center here to check for RAM problems.  The problem you describe is a first symptom of memory read errors.  I also have had errors on installation that were traced back to memory.  Before giving up on any redline errror reads on memtest, go to BIOS and reset the memory speed to either SPD, if it is on auto, or auto, if it is now on SPD.  Usually, setting it to SPD will sync it correctly if that is the only problem.

Andrew S

How are your CD-Rom drives installed?

Primary - HD master... CD1 Slave
Secondary - CD1 Master

or

Primary - HD master
Secondary - CD1 Master, CD1 Slave

Do you have a set up simlar to that?

- If both CD-Roms are on the same ide cable, and both have the same outcome, check to make sure the ide cable is firmly in place on the motherboard.

Aaron_T

i will try the memtest option that actually sounds like it might be the problem.

@andrew, i think the drives are set up right coz theyve been workin fine for 2 years now.

cheers for the replies doods, i'll let ya know how it goes.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

sorry to double post, but theres one more thing i need to ask, if the method whizbang proposed actually does work, should i reinstall windows or will it be ok to run as it is?
POTATOES!

Igloo

it should be ok to run as it is.

but thast part of windows.  ::)
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,