• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

really dumb question ( please help)

Started by Steph, April 08, 2003, 16:03 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

Hello everyone, this seems like a nice site :)

I have a really dumb question so i apologise!

I want to get a laptop but i have no idea how  to connect it to the internet.....? Do i need special equipment?

I saw one that had *ethernet port for broadband* What does this mean? I have broadband internet on his PC.... would i be able to us the same ISP or do i need a new one?

Please help!!!!

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters

If you mean connecting to the internet from home, that should be pretty easy.  All new laptops and anything made within the last couple years should have an integrated modem and network card, so you'll be able to connect through either dial-up or cable/dsl.  If you want to use more than one computer at once, you'll need to look into a router or some other internet connection sharing option.

On the other hand, connecting to the internet when away from any 'land line' internet options becomes a little more complicated.  You'll be able to connect through a cell phone, but that gets pricey and you'll need to get a device from the cell phone provider.

Hope this helps :)

Steph

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes, i'll be using it from home, so can i use my current ISP? How would i connect to it?

Thanks.

dcsun

What is your current isp?  Do you plan to share it with the other computer, or move the cables back and forth whenever you want to use it?

Steph

My current ISP is ntl broadband, which comes through my set top box (for like cable tv) round the house and through the wall which i then plug into my computer. So no i don't plan to move the cables back and forth cuz i can't, it's set.  And i don't plan to share it with any other computer.

Thanks.

dcsun

I'm guessing that the connection to your desktop system is a standard ethernet network connection.  If that's the case, you have a couple options.  One would be to simply unplug the cable from the back of the computer and plug that into the laptop (that was what I meant by move the cables back and forth).  Another would be to buy a router and plug the cable from the box into that, then both the desktop and laptop into the router.  A third option would be to install another network card in the desktop and plug the laptop into that, then setup internet connection sharing (included with Windows 98SE and later) on that machine.

Steph

The trouble is i plan to get rid of my desktop computer. I just want to use a laptop, I'm really confused ....

dcsun

Sorry, I was under the (apparently quite mistaken :P) impression that you wanted to keep the desktop and have both.  All you need to do is make sure the laptop you get has an ethernet network card (though you could add a pcmcia one even if it doesn't), then plug the cable that goes into the desktop now, into the laptop.

Steph

Really? That's it? Here's me thinking i would be buying loads of confusing stuff :)

Thank for all your help, it was very much appreciated :)

Now, the laptop has a *ethernet port* what is that? Is that where i'd put the cable or is that where i'd put the ehternet card?
I'm sorry, i know NOTHING about laptops :P

dcsun

Yep, that's where the cable will connect.  You should be all set then :).

Steph

So i just connect the cable that connects into my computer into the *ethernet port* ?

I'm sorry, i think i may be getting on your nerves now :)

dcsun

Quote from: Steph on April 08, 2003, 16:50 hrsSo i just connect the cable that connects into my computer into the *ethernet port* ?
Yep :)