• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, November 05, 2001, 19:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

JimS, watch out for that lightning. About the fried modem. Are you sure it's the modem and not something else. For that reason alone I would take it to a certified repair facility escpecially if it is still in waranty. Even though it's a lightning issue if the repair facility is not certified by Compaq you may have problems down the road. As for the PCMCIA modem also called a PC card modem you might want to try Laptops for less this will at least give you an idea of whats out there.  Most PC card modems use somewhat the same technology. Either Lucent or Rockwell/Conextant which are either KFLEX or X2. and most all are now V.90. You might want to try the PC card modem first or call a repair facility certified by Compaq and ask them how much they charge to repair/replace an internal modem. You might also contact Wesley or John at Media Computer Enterprises or call 1-800-764-2709 and tell them your a member of Poasters Form and explain the problem. I do not know if they work on Compaq laptops or not but they might be able to give you some options I haven't mentioned. Either way good luck. Poast back if you need more help or to let us know what the outcome was.

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

JimS

Thanks, John, I'll try everything you've suggested.  This is my wife's computer, and actually I'm aiming to build her a desktop system with a small case and an LCD screen.  I would like to repair the Compaq so that it is fully functional, just for insurance.  Thanks again, and I'll let you know if I have any luck.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

JimS

The modem in my wife's Compaq Presario 1270 recently got fried during a thunderstorm.  I haven't contacted Compaq to see what it would cost to repair/replace it, but I'm certain that it wouldn't be cheap, and probably not worth it.  Probably the most reasonable fix is to install a PCMCIA modem instead.  Can anyone recommend one?  Any other suggestions?

Edited by - JimS on Nov 05 2001  6:37:21 PM

Edited by - JimS on Nov 06 2001  10:22:08 AM
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet