• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows XP will not boot

Started by cdn_guy81, August 08, 2008, 10:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

cdn_guy81

I installed Windows Home Edition on my c:\ drive, and dual booted with Ubuntu on a d:\ drive.  I have other partitions e:\, f:\ etc all with data stored on them, that I would like to keep.  After using Ubuntu for a while, I decided I didn't want to keep it anymore so I deleted the d:\ partition and ever since then, I am not able to boot into windows. 

After post, I see the following message:

GRUB loading stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 17

and the computer just hangs there.  I have tried pressing F8 to get into safe mode, however I'm not able to.  I've also tried to reboot with the XP cd in the drive and using the recovery console command "FIXMBR" however I am given a warning saying it's possible that I can lose other partitions if I confirm the message.

I don't mind losing c:\ because all I have is windows on it.  I really want to save other partitions though.  Should I try FIXMBR, or can I delete the c:\ partition and re-install windows on C:\ without losing data on the other partitions?

scuzzy

You can simply reinstall Windows directly to C drive. Your other partitions will be safe, so long as you don't do anything during the installation to delete them. That would have to be a purposeful move on your part, so reasonable caution applies.

Once Windows is reinstalled, you can use the Computer Administration to change partition letter assignment, if you wish.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor