• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

server

Started by Igloo, May 19, 2004, 13:48 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Igloo

well....lets see now.... i have windows server 2003.... but no server.... now then......here's my idea :)

at work i have alot of old celeron machines.... that we no longer need.....

so lets tink... is there anyway i can link them ??? i have seen think http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/

now then wouldnt that be cool? not that many.. maybe 3-4 all together into a wireless switch....with 2 120gb SATA drives? for backup / file storage...........

or could i do it without that many cpu's / mobo's..... i think there must be some way to set up the mobo's to run in parellel....

so i load windows server 2003 and then the nodes can run it themselves.. or do i just set up 2 machines as 2 seperate servers?

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

query

You can't run multiprocessor apps across mainboards, so you'd need to build complete systems and cluster them.

You cannot do clustering with Server 2003 Standard - you need the Enterprise or Datacenter edition to do that job.  And if you have a single copy of Server 2003, you can't use it on mutiple machines, since it does require activation, just like XP does.

If you're planning to fiddle with clustering, Linux or BSD UNIX
would be a better (far cheaper) platform.

Igloo

i have the enterpirse version... so i can cluster them :) i have enough licences for 5 computers.....
i may get linux for now... as it is free.... and not waste my activations of server 2003 until i know what i want from it....

can i run Novell from linux? as that is what will authenticate every login and run e-mail etc...

if linux.. what distro can i use?

thanks

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

iansl

Mandrake seems to be fairly heavy into that market...
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

slaxorz

Any of the more lucrative versions of linux would work well for this kind of setup.  I have seen a seti setup before with about 16 computers linked running the seti (search for extraterestrial inteligence?). They where all pentium pro processors at 200mhz.  And they where working great in tandem.