• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Can't believe microsoft did this!

Started by LugwidVanB, May 25, 2008, 04:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I have a 10-year-old computer with Win 98. I went to their update page with an option to notify me if there were new updates. I can't believe I clicked on this option. Stupid. Every time I log on the internet the comptuer goes into a crawl while microsoft (apparently) scans my computer then after 10 minutes comes up with a box that says 'There are new updates for you. Click on the appropriate box below' or something to that effect. I get two options, 'Notify me Later', or 'Get Updates now'. Clicking the latter box takes me their site which has no new updates for Win 98, they don't service this version anymore. There is no way I can find to stop this interference. I believe I am cursed forever to endure this tyranny. Does anyone have a way to eliminate this dialog box from coming up?

Thanks, Tom

Mark H

There will be no updates for Windows 98, so it is a waste of your time.

Mark H; Windows Vista and XP and loving them.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

I may have found a solution. Poking around I went into Explorer and under Windows I found a folder named, 'Tasks'. Opening it I found a file 'Windows Critical Update Notification'. Double clicking this brings up a box. Click the tab for Settings. An .exe file is listed with address in Windows\System. Delete this file. The annoying box has not come up after 2 days. Thanks for the prompt.

LugwidVanB

Don't have to worry. With 98 I am required to reboot often. Hangs at the slightest excuse. I thought about upgrading a while back but was told XP wouldn't run on this machine, that it would just crawl along. I couldn't find the 2000 or ME version for less than $200 so I feel stuck with this. Thanks for the input.