• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows XP, Service pack 3 - Install or no install?

Started by Llhweiir, May 15, 2008, 06:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Llhweiir

My windows update just suggested that I should install Service Pack 3... My experience is that those packs, escpecially SP2 was so incomplete that it caused more problems than it solved... So what do you think) Shold I install, or should I wait?

pat

Went fine for me on a clean install. In fact it installed much quicker than a clean install with SP2 and then installing all the updates there were before SP3.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I also installed SP3 on my home built system as well as my Toshiba laptop. The update installed smoothly on both systems.

There have been reports that installing SP3 on some AMD-based computers causes them to reboot endlessly. HP computers with the AMD chipsets seem to be hardest hit by this problem. A free solution is available here. The tool is a very small script file that you need to run prior to installing SP3.

I recommend that if you're going to update WinXP, then download the SP3 file to your local hard drive. The 316.4MB file is available here. This is a better solution to the automatic update if you have to update more than one computer.

If you prefer, the 544.9MB CD image file is available here.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Actually I didn't even know SP3 was out. It just so happened I decided to do a clean install on my other system and when I went to download all the updates, I think there was 80 some of them the last time I did an install. I was given the choice of SP3 so I went with that. But yeah, went smooth and like I said much faster than it took with all the individual updates.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Llhweiir

The install did not work for me... Somewehere in the process I got a message that a file was missing, and if I wanted to continue without it. I clicked yes, but got the same message again and again.... Finally I aborted the process but hten I got a message that a another file was missing, and if I wanted to continue without it. Once again I clicked yes, but got the same message again and again...

Finally I simply rebooted the computer and resotred it to an earlier restore-point.

I will try with downloadin it to the harddrive and installing it that way. Thanks!

scuzzy

If you have the original Windows XP installation disc, try doing an OS repair first.

Boot the computer with the installation disc in the CD/DVD-ROM. You may be prompted to "press any key" to boot from CD. The disc will begin the installation process, then prompt you for some options. Select Repair Windows, or however it's worded.

Once you complete the process, then give SP3 another go.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

In installed SP3 via Windows Update with no problems. Getting it on disk is not worth it to me since my photography PC and laptop both use Windows Vista. My last PC runs ipcop for a dedicated whole network firewall. This PC will continue to run Windows XP SP3 until the hardware needs replaced. Then, I may still run Windows XP.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Llhweiir

Quote from: scuzzy on May 17, 2008, 11:26 hrs
If you have the original Windows XP installation disc, try doing an OS repair first.

Boot the computer with the installation disc in the CD/DVD-ROM. You may be prompted to "press any key" to boot from CD. The disc will begin the installation process, then prompt you for some options. Select Repair Windows, or however it's worded.

Once you complete the process, then give SP3 another go.

I do not have the XP disc as the system came installed with it. Instead I have a small recovery-partition on my harddrive. This seems to affect me in the way that some of the disc-options such as "repair windows" is unavailable to me. I can only restore the entire system to factory settings with the partition.