• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Text layout in email.

Started by Traveller, February 13, 2008, 15:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

If I type out a a letter in a word processor, for example, and then paste the text into an email (which I send to myself for test purposes), why is it that when I open the email, the text is not laid out in the same way as if I would have typed the text directly into the email's compose box and then sent it?

How can I type the text in a word processor first but have the text appear just as it would if I had typed it directly into the compose box and sent it?

The line endings of the text when composed in the compose box nearly reaches the right side of the page, whereas those when it's composed in a word processor first stop around the middle.

And how do I create a 'click here' link in an email. I tried the following but it doesn't work.

<A HREF="http://www.----------.com">click here</A>

Thanks.

Bill

First problem- there is a setting in most email clients to compose mail in 'plain text' or HTML format.  In Thunderbird, which I use, go to Tools>Account settings>Composition.   Choosing the plain text choice eliminates any formatting in the letter when you paste it.   HTML allows formatting.  The other alternative is to type your letter in the WP and attach it rather paste it.

I cannot help with your 2nd question.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

A lot of email programs have a menu item or button to insert a hyperlink, which prompts your for the URL and a name for the text. If your email program doesn't have that, then you can just paste it into the email.

It would help greatly if you told us what email program you are using.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Traveller

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone.

Bill, I followed your advice of sending an attachment instead and I think that should work fine.

Yes, you're quite right Ja. It doesn't matter how I compose my email, alot will depend on the recipient's settings.

Mark H, the problem I described was from Yahoo and I sent it to myself (at Yahoo), so I don't know what it would look like in Outlook or other clients.

Thanks.