• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Ace, April 03, 2002, 17:03 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

LOOKOUT! HEY! WHATCHIT!

Ok; hold on. It's alright. I checked them out; they only look to be about 3 inches long or so, from my screen.  I think they'll be ok.

Watch your toes, though. Could still cause a nasty bite, or abrasion.

Ace; gotta taste better than achovies.  I like blackened shark.

"It is never too late to be bait"  remember the U.S.S. Indianapolis

Ring bells for service.

pat

Cool pictures, I don't think we have any sharks out in the big lake. But a few years back one washed ashore up by South Haven. It caused quit a stir, there were those you claimed it came up the St Lawrence and made the lake-to-lake journey and finally expired from being in fresh water. Others said it was just a hoax, brought up and left by some practical jokers.

No final determination was ever made. It?s a big lake, who knows what could be out there.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Karen

Hi Carol,

Great pictures!  Glad the sharks didn't cause any problems for your son or his friend.  

Reminds me of my own recent close encounter with a "toothy" Florida native.  My office in Tampa backs up onto a conservation area.  The area is left "wild" and vegetation includes native Florida palms, ferns, misc underbrush, and citrus trees.  There's also what in Louisiana we would call a bayou, but I guess here it's just a creek.  It's very picturesque and has an abundance of aminal life as well (Blue Herons, parrots, river otters, ducks, turtles, fish, and two 7 foot alligators we call Elvis and Priscilla).  

Whenever I'm feeling stressed at work I like to take a walk down to the water's edge and enjoy the wildlife for a few minutes.  Of course, I always scan the shoreline and water to see if Elvis and Priscilla are about.

One afternoon after about 10 minutes of enjoying the scenery, I heard rustling in some underbrush about 10 feet from where I was standing.  I wasn't concerned because squirrels are always jumping around in the underbrush.  They make so much racket you'd think a herd of elephants was stampeding.

Anyway, from the corner of my eye I saw a slight ripple in the water and Elvis (at least I think it was him) was silently slipping back out into the water.  He must have been in the underbrush the entire time...keeping an eye on me I'm sure.  Luckily for me, Elvis must have had a full stomach.  It was around lunch time, so he probably already had his fill of Southern fried chicken or fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.  

It really shook me up at the time, and I didn't go out to the conservation area for weeks.  When I finally did get brave enough to venture back outside, I made sure to keep my distance from any underbrush and the waters edge.

Florida...there's no other place quite like it!

Karen  

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Carol

Well, Ace, my son tells me these are safe sharks.  No shark is safe in my book. And I know if they had come any closer, he would have reached out and touched them.

Karen, living in Sarasota, I know all about those gators.  We live on a lake, and we have lots of that wildlife out there.  We've had Pelicans, Otters, Herons, an occasional Eagle, Hawk, and Osprey.  And of course the turtles, fish and ducks, bunnies and so on, but no gators.  I worry every year that we will find one in there.  It's getting about that time of year when people find them in their pools and on their doorsteps.  My husband works in Tampa, or should I say, his office is in Tampa, but he works all over the state.  And your right there is no other place like Florida.  Sometimes it's like living on another planet.

Patman, I believe my son has mentioned the fact that sharks have been found in rivers and lakes.  

This was a real thrill for him as he has always loved and been fascinated by sharks.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/btce/chauffer1cp.gif" border=0>

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

John

For those worried about sharks. Especially in fresh water. The Bull shark is one such shark that can and does live in fresh water. Here is an article from a Scuba diving magazine called SouthWest diver. Concerned about the influx of zebra mussels and other undesirable aquatic life forms in the St. Lawrence River and the Seaway, the Federal Research And Underwriting Directorate (FRAUD), a newly formed environmental agency, will plant bull sharks in local St. Lawrence River waters in an effort to eradicate nuisance fish and pests.

The sharks, which grow up to 10 feet and 400 pounds, will be captured in Nicaragua and released on April 1, 1996 in the Lake St. Francis vicinity of the St. Lawrence River, where it is hoped they will migrate up river towards Lake Ontario to eat zebra mussels, lamprey eels, carp and other nonessential fish.

Dr. Fuller Bull, head of the FRAUD shark project, said, "We were very discouraged about the rapid growth of these unwanted species and were searching for a simple solution When one of our scientists said, 'What we need is a natural predator that comes from the ocean like these nuisance fish once did.' It was then that the shark idea struck me, and it was so simple I almost fell off my chair!"

Bull sharks are common in Lake Nicaragua and it was long thought that they were a landlocked shark subspecies that had evolved to live in fresh water. But, the scientific community discovered that they routinely move between the lake and the ocean via a connecting river and are equally at home in both fresh water and salt water environments.

The sharks, which do not have a reputation for aggressiveness, may, at times, attack people, but generally only when in fresh water. Scientists think that's because they find it harder to locate food in those surroundings.

"That's an overstatement, as the sharks kill fewer than 200 people a year in Lake Nicaragua," said Dr. I M. Lye Ing of Thailand, a shark expert from the Military and Naval University Research Exchange .(MANURE).

"We don't expect anywhere near that number in the St. Lawrence River. I think bull sharks in the river basin wouldn't eat more than 40 people a year, maybe 50, tops. And, since most of the locals don't often venture into the water because it's too dang cold, you have to figure most will be tourists from down state or New York City area anyway.

"I bet the sharks won't get more than 5 to 1 0 north country residents on an annual basis."

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

Neon

CANDY-GRAM!

Sorry, saw the subject line, and just couldn't resist

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

Oh, you could to have. You just chose not to.

That's why they have those little peep-hole thingys in doors...

Next there will be one for Mongo.

Ring bells for service.

Joanie

Hey Carol,

WoW!! them there fishies are pretty scary. You better tell your son if he wants to use his new computer for college he better watch his fingers.

How do you sleep at night and when you do sleep do you count shark instead of sheep. I'll be glad when your boys are all grow up and develop a little fear.

My DSL is up and running again with no problems right now, that's a step in the right direction.

I am surprised Ace is still hangin around after veiwing those pictures. He is getting brave in his old age.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

n/a

Scary stuff, Carol. I hope you don't rent 'Jaws' anytime soon.

Here's a pic of a fearsome critter I confronted in my yard the other day. Luckily we were on dry land. If this had happened underwater, well, who knows.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pic19b.jpg" border=0>

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

Ace

What the heck was Scuzzy doing in your yard?  Tell him to get back in here.

Mars needs women; we need moderators.  I never would've thought he'd vacation in Oklahoma. Must be the beaches.

Surprised you didn't shoot the thing. Unless you use it as bait for coyotes. I don't know what they eat, offhand. Well, offpaw.  I'd think they'd be thankful for one of those; I know I would be.

Somebody will probably say "Oh, that's good on a pizza"...  "With extra thick dressing and green beans."  Bleah.

Ace; Wonder why he crossed the road.  

http://files.triton.net/pattrucks/poasters/jesterblk.gif" border=0>

Birds of a feather, all died together... cluck. gobble. quack. gravel (helps parakeets with digestion).

Ring bells for service.

Carol

Joanie,

Having a son who has no fear does make it hard to sleep.  And I didn't count sharks, but now who knows.  This is the only dive that the sharks have joined them. Now I will be much more nervous each time he goes down.  

I don't think he will ever develop any fear.  The things he hopes to be able to do someday scare me alot.  It's funny, but when the boys were younger, Eric was the one with no fear.  He would just as soon like to stand on the dining room table as on the floor and I had to trail him all the time for fear of what he would do.  Christopher on the other hand was the one who was more afraid.  Then a few years back they seem to have changed places.  I'm not sure there is anything now that Christopher is afraid of or won't try.

Glad about your DSL.  I think Comcast has finally got theirs all straightened out.

And Bear, he can recite "Jaws" word for word he has read the book and watched the movie so many times.

Ace is really getting brave, since he is still hanging around even after seeing that scary critter from Bear's yard.

Carol

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Joanie

Hi Carol,

There is an excitement about being way down in the ocean with the sharks. If I was younger I might consider investigating shark life. Thinking about it is one thing but actually doing it is another.

It is a very good thing you are a woman with a lot of faith because your going to need to do some serious praying to get you through the worry. Sking was the most fearful sport I had to worry about with my son, that I know of anyway. He has climbed many a mountain but that is not like playing with the sharks.

Aceio, don't you go stealing Carols pictures. It is OK to steal Bears pic because I am sure he has plenty of those spooky look-in things on his farm.

Happy Days ahead. hee

Joanie

n/a

Farm?

FARM???

Hardly. This is a non-farm. 'Farm' implies crops, of which we have none, though you're welcome to harvest the ragweed this summer if you want. Here we refer to a non-productive plot of land as an acreage, although I prefer to think of it as beach-front property waiting for an ocean.

Actually it's closer to a wildlife preserve than a farm, hence the critters wandering through the yard .

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

pat

Dear John,

You sure that?s not a lot of bull about those sharks?

I have seen those lamprey eels those dudes are ugly. They leave a real nasty looking wound on the side of a fish too. We must have a lot of those zebra mussels too, the shells wash up in piles on the shoreline. The worst is the Alewives every few years the die-off is really bad, that?s a smell you don?t soon forget. Phew

Bear,

Good story. Turkey?s were reintroduced around here a few years back. They must have taken hold, every once in a while I see one or two.

http://files.triton.net/pattrucks/poasters/fish81.gif" border=0>

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Carol

Speaking of gators, scroll down a little and look at this poor woman's car.

http://www.sun-herald.com/

Carol

Joanie

Hey Carol

I see patman took a picture of your son shark hunting.  Geeeeeeeeeeedh! a kid can't go swimming anymore without as Poaster taking pictures.

That picture of that womans car with the gator teeth marks is enough to make anyone want to take a bus to California. That was unreal. I'll never forget that picture and reading about the wild life on Bears property is enough to give one the chills too.

You guys make me so happy that I live where I do. A few bob cats an occasional mountain lion, badgers and a bunch of coyotes pretty much make up the enviroment here in the desert and now I will welcome them.

Bear, I hope Fred has learned to stay put on your waterbed.

Joanie

John

Pat, actually I am not sure about the authenticity of the article from the scuba diving magazine. However that said I do remember an article sometime ago on discovery channel about shark attacks in the Mississippie River more than 1000 miles inland from the Sea. Here is another article by Shannon Davis on Geocities. Also I do a lot of fishing in South Florida. Sometimes I fish up a River Called Shark River in the Everglades National Park. The river runs to the Gulf of Mexico from the Everglades water shed. When I fish way up the river for Bass I sometimes see Big Bull sharks, Saltwater Crocodiles, American and Cuban Alligators and Southamerican Caiman. Lots of critters in Fresh water here that bite.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John

Edited by - John on Apr 05 2002  9:16:24 PM
Cogito Ergo Sum

Joanie

Hey patman,

You called that picture Bear poasted a Turkey and here I thought it was a weird looking Cow?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Joanie

Carol

Joanie,

I guess there is an excitement about being down in the ocean.  Everyone I talk to that dives say it is one of their loves.

Yes, the prayer lines have really been open, and the older they get the more I have to pray about.  Especially with Christopher.  He wants to sail in some solo sailing race, at least I think it's a race.  Wants to skydive.  The Jr. ROTC teacher at their school skydives, and this year he and one of the vice principals did it at the homecoming pep rally and landed in the middle of the football field. Now he wants to try it.  Yikes.  Today he's off seeing how many times he can ride the coasters at Busch Gardens.

And we were talking last night about the sharks and he told me when he said they were safe he said oh, I just meant they weren't being aggresive at that time.  Gee thanks, I needed to know that.

At least with Patman down there taking pictures, he could help scare the sharks away.

That was quite a picture of the holes from the gator.  Never know where you'll find one of those things sometimes.

Carol

Joanie

Hey Carol,

Swimming with the fish (not necessarily sharks)could be very peaceful and I would imagine it is a tranquil and beautiful sport. To me it would be like visiting another world. Have you tried scuba diving?

Sky diving?? What will they the little darlings think of next. Good grief girl your going to be way old before your time. You better take them with you on vacation, you don't dare leave them alone. Who knows what they will come up with. hee.

Joonie

Carol

Well, Joanie, I guess this is terrible for a Florida girl to admit, but I don't swim, nor do I like the beach.  Only at sunset.  Or to go for a walk along it on a cold day, and you know we don't get many of those.  I guess that comes from being born in the mountains.

Yes, skydiving.  And if I get that vacation they will definitely go along.  But those mountains can be dangerous too.  One would just love to be dropped off and hike the whole time he's up there.  Someday he thinks he will hike the Appalachian Trail.  Bet you can't guess which one.

Carol

Joanie

Carol you wouldn't have time to swim if you could. Your lucky you can find time for a shower. hee.

The Appalachian Trail, haven't heard about that one since my school days so please forgive me if I don't have a clue about which trail your guy prefers.

I don't know which I prefer the Ocean or the Mountains. Fortunately,  both are pretty close to me, the beach about 2 hours and the mountains about 1 hour and I don't get around to either one of them these days. The water was always my favorite place to be whether it was the lake, the ocean or the swimming pool.

Thinking about getting snowed in while staying in a mountain cabin with good company, lots of steak, crab legs and lobster sounds very romantic as does a barn fire on a sandy beach on a warm summer night after a swim in the ocean. Such decisions but either one will do in a pinch.

Don't know how you are going keep up with all the plans your guys have for the future, good luck and purchase the large size bottle of Aspirin, your going to need it.

Joanie

PS Ace has forgotten that girls can talk more than guys, well, maybe except for Neon.

Carol

Joanie,

I do think Ace forgot that the girls can talk a lot more than the guys.

The Appalachian Trail goes from Georgia to Maine, all 2160 miles of it.  I think it takes a few months to hike the whole thing.

Oh, I'll take that snowed in, mountain cabin, good company and steak, lobster, and crab legs, especially Alaskan King crab or FL. stone crab. And maybe some nice shrimp.  Mmmmm.  Someday.

You're so lucky to have the ocean and the mountains close by.  Of course it is about 15 minutes to the beach-non tourist time. But sadly it is about 12 hours to the mountains that I love so much.  

I can't keep up with all the plans being made.  And I am one that would like to have everything planned out right to the last detail.

Better go,

Carol

Joanie

Carol, by now I bet Ace has scratched a hole in his head but that could be a good thing if it lets some of the air out. hee.

Don't believe I have knowingly had Florida crab legs but if they are anything like the Alaskan King Crab legs what a treat that would be. The last time I bought any here at the market they were 35.00 for 2 pounds, much too expensive for me to have them very often since I can polish off two pounds in a moment and I would much rather enjoy them with a friend so were talking at least four pounds for just me and one friend. Too bad they don't sell them shelless but then that wouldn't be any fun. I like to mix shrimp and crab in a coctail, the crab on the inside of a very deep long stem champagne glass snuggled all up in a bed of lettuce and the jumbo shrimp along the outside rim of the glass. Ace would probably prefer the champagne but thats OK cuz we won't invite him to our

crab festivity.

My words of wisdom for you "Keep the Faith, walk the walk and stay out of the water unless you use a tire tube."

Good luck in finding that mountain cabin before summer gets here.

Joanie

Carol

Joanie,

Hope Ace doesn't scratch to big a hole.  Might get dangerous.

Fl. Crab.. http://www.stone-crabs.com/ ...Very, very, good.  Of course we get them locally, just put this on here so you could see what they are like.  It's only the claw.  You are only allowed to remove one claw and then put the crab back as it will grow a new claw.  I think there is a size limit to the claw, but I'm not sure.  And they are only in season about 7 months out of the year.

Yes, Alaskan King crab is very expensive here too.  Only get it on special occasions.  Way to much to have very often.  The shrimp and crab coctail sounds very good.  Have to try that soon.

I've been looking at those cabins.  Watching the Dollywood schedule.  Opening day for the season yesterday.  If the boys weren't in school I would take an October vacation, but that's not possible.  

Carol

Edited by - carol on Apr 07 2002  4:16:31 PM

Joanie

Carol, any size hole in Ace's head would be dangerous. There must be all kinds of stuffing inside. I'd be afraid to check it out myself. Maybe one of the guy Poasters would be glad to take a look at it. It would take one very courageous Poaster to do that and somebody big and stong like the Bear or Bubba or Neon.

Had more problems with the DSL earlier and am just now able to get on without a problem but who knows for how long.

Oh Boy! would I have fun with those great looking Claws from Billies. I will study it more later. Right now I just finished dinner so my tummy is full. Next time I go there I will go on an empty stomach. Thanks for that link. Betcha Ace is checking it out as well.

Chat with ya later. I am sure you have gone to bed. How were your ribs?

Joanie

Carol

No, haven't gone to bed.  Talking to my brother on Instant messanger.  Since he lives in Washington state, I have to stay up late to talk to him.

The ribs were excellent.  Enjoyed every bite.  Haven't had them in a long time.

Never bought anything from Billies, as we can just go to a local fish market and get fresh claws.  They are so good.

You're right about Ace.  Hope he finds a Poaster to check out the stuffing inside.  Must be interesting stuff in there, it would be a shame for it all to get out from that hole he might be scratching in it.

Carol

Joanie

Hi Carol,

I don't know who would want to get their hands all dirty rumaging through all that stuff and who knows what it would smell like and what kind of damage it could do. It might even release airborne bacteria and then we would all be in trouble.

I had so much trouble with instant messanger, it created more problems with my other programs and when I removed it everything was fine again. It took awhile to determine it was that program and I did the usual process of elimination by deleting any new programs and then reinstalling. It also caused problems with my friends computer. You are fortunate you can use it. I guess it all depends on what programs are installed on the system. There must be some incompatabilities with certain programs only.

Today I will be thinking crab legs all day. How did we ever get started with that.

Have a good one.

Joanie

Carol

Well, Joanie, I think it started with the snowed in mountain cabin, food, and good company.  And I started thinking about how good the crab meat would be since I haven't had it in awhile.

Sorry about your Instant Messanger trouble.  Boy I would be lost without it.  I talk to my cousins, and my brother, and sometimes even my sister, even though she is in town.  And hopefully my son when he goes off to school will occasionally talk to his poor old mom who is going to really miss having him around.

Carol

Joanie

Yo Carol,

No DSL all day. I wrote to Earthlink and told them to fix it or cancel my subscription, will see what happens tomorrow. It is working tonight but nights were not the deal. It was supposed to be 24/7 and no down time. The aggravation and the time I waste is just not worth it anymore. I realize maintenance is necessary now and then but whatever there doing it has been over three weeks and it could be Verizons problem, I have no way of knowing.

What is needed here is a huge bowl of Crablegs, lots of melted butter and French Bread direct from San Francisco. My girlfriend buys her bread on-line and they are located in SF. She gave me the addy but I hid it on myself.

Do you ever dream about the snow? I dream mostly of the ocean and I am always trying to save a baby from drowning. In one dream I climbed a telephone pole with a baby in my arms as the waves tried to cover us. Wonder what that means.

Joanie