• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Ace, August 28, 2001, 05:54 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Yes; like Albedo, I would like to know:

What's wrong with ME?

I hope everyone will have lots to say about what's wrong with ME.  I've heard there are a great many things wrong with ME, and even yesterday in mentioning to our PC tech I thought about upgrading ME, she winced. I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything RIGHT with ME.  Everytime I mention ME, people shake their heads and sorta quiet down.  Maybe there's so many things screwed up with ME, they're just being polite. Huh.

It looks like both 98 and ME are around as an upgrade for $89 or so. I've already got IE 5.5. and Outlook and all that, so no need for the additional stuff.  And don't care to wait for XP, especially since my resources are scarce.

I hope there's plenty to avoid about ME, so that I won't have to worry about ME any more. Consensus might well be that we should get ME outta the chat room all together, permanently.  

Ace: part of the ME generation.  He thought it was still 1995, you have to remember.

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Albedo,

I saw your earlier poast, and figured you were just being funny. But, since you asked, Windows Me is not much more than a "slightly disabled" Windows 98SE, with a couple features thrown in.

Apparently, Windows Me has done okay on computers that were designed (so to speak) from the factory to run on Windows Me. However, it has been disastrous for some who "downgraded" from Windows 98 to Windows Me. As far as I'm concerned, it is exactly that: a downgrade. For many poor fools who were suckered by Microsoft to switch from Windows 98 to Windows Me, it has proven to be unstable compared to what they had. Some people claim that Windows Me "fixed" the problems they were having with Windows 98SE, when in fact a reinstallation of Windows 98SE would have fixed the problem even better.

If you still have Windows 95 or 98, don't switch to Me. Instead, invest the money in Windows 98SE. You'll be much better off. Or, if your hardware will handle it, wait for Windows XP.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Joanie

Hi Albedo,

Sorry, I also thought you were being funny so I tried to be funny too and I still think it is funny, even Ace thought you were being funny and it's hard to trick him.

I have found with ME if there is the slightest incompatability it is not forgiving and you have to shut down and be faced with lots of error messages and Scandisk. Maybe this is good in a way because it is pretty hard to mess up your system with ME. ME will mess it up for you. It took me awhile to learn this because I liked ME in the beginning, Now me thinks ME is a bummer.

Joanie

ME thinks for itself.

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

John

Me too, what Joanie and Scuzzy said.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

n/a

I sincerely apologize for the weak attempt at humor.  I did, indeed, wonder why you people disliked WINDOWS ME so much.  I hereby promise not to try to be funny on this forum.

n/a

If you can be funny without trying, so much the better.

I don't have ME, but from what I hear DOS is nearly inacessible. I've been gradually learning to use DOS for about ten years, so it would be a tragic waste of the three or four commands I know if I were to switch now.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

Ace

Hey, dangit, I thought it was a dang good question, dangit. I didn't think Albedo was being funny, even if he wasn't trying to be. And I should know, because I appreciate how much work it is to be. Try to be. Whichever.

Since I too am weighing the pros and cons and con jobs and conduit of switching OS's Maybe's I figured it was a good thing he asked.  So glad he did, and wanted to offer a "hear, hear" or "here, here" or "huh... there" to 2nd his motion.

Hey, since after I poasted I was reading this batch of regrets and nightmare experiences from folks both from upgrading/downsizing to ME as well as big messes from 98; What's the benefit of going to 98 SE from 95 (since like in my case the OS works just fine and ain't got no problemos anywho)?

That could help with those of us who now figure 98 trumps ME.  

As far as what else is wrong with ME I figure you all could offer tips on that as you are accustomed, and as time permits.  I figured being the straight man for a change would've opened the floodgates.  And glad Albedo's here; we definitely needed a new Al something, especially for humor.  It wears me out sometimes trying to amuse you people as the sole jester (or "soul jester.." that sounds kicky) so could use the help.

Ace: hey, if an IMac had ME on it, would it say "It is I" or "It is ME"?

Ring bells for service.

Karen

Hi Albedo and Ace,

I like you both, but can't say the same for ME.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

n/a

Karen,

Would you share the reasons with me?

Albedo

Ace

I second Albedo's motion for the 2nd time. I don't know if that makes it 4x or what, but whatever.

So, sure, Karen, let us know what you ran into or heard about ME.  I was going to say and also, why you hate ME but like me and Albedo.  Or we like you too but don't care much about me.  

You know, in the old days, this string woulda gone horizontally right across the screen until it got all scrunched up on the right side with little vertical poasts titled "I hate ME and Ace" and "I'd rather clean install a Panda than get near Ace" and "Pandas Are Using ME" and "Clean Pseudonyms Only Here, Please" and other stuff about me.  Oh yeah, and "I like Monkeys but not Me".

You know, sometimes it's not about you.  It's about ME.  Maybe the problem with ME is that millenium wrong thinking, that it was gonna occur on the 1 and not the 0 deal, and maybe their code got kinda twisted because.

Nah, they don't deserve an easy out like that...  It'd be like "MS=Cubs".

Ace: it's early so be patient. At least his fake name is rated G.

Ring bells for service.

pat

Well it seems everyone loves to hate me.

I tried me in an attempt to find an easier way to get digital images from my camera to the hard drive. I never had 98se so perhaps I missed something. With 98 without the se using usb, transferring images was a long process. Now the wizard opens up, you name the pix select a folder and it?s a snap. Last night I transferred 135 high-resolution pix (1.2 mega pixels) in just under 60 seconds from camera to hard drive, no additional programs needed. Plus all images are shown in an easy to view thumbnail view.

My system has worked well since the downgrade.  Perhaps I?ve been bamboozled.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

n/a

Patman,

Yeah, the camera interface is easier on me, and I like the thumbnails.

I'm still trying to read Ace's message, however.

pat

I have found that if you go down to the store and get some of those 3-D glasses. Like the ones I got at 7-11 before they showed The Creature from the Black Lagoon on the tube a few years ago. Put those on and Ace?s poasts come in clear as a bell.

Just be careful with the Pandas. Ace don?t like no one messing with his Pandas. I had to learn that the hard way.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Patman, my man. Named Pat; my way is the hard way.

When you're in Heck (in case Bear is reading) and Diablo's got you by the whatever it is he has you by, then it's all hard.  Although my Paladin has only died once, and that was mostly my fault.  I'll tell ya, 256 K do help my little guy to not glitch at all.

Thank Goodness, or the other things that live there.

So; I hear ME does good things to video. I ain't got no video and ain't gonna rip off hard living deserving Metallica musicians like Lars by loading up on MP3s and stuff (criminy; they used to be good.). So I'm doing pretty sedate computer things; any other benefits to risking my 95 stability to go with 98?

Albedo, dude; you got a good string going here.  Congrats. You oughta get like 2 red stars. Well, not mine. But somebody's.  And people, please: let's keep Pandas oughta this, ok..?  It won't be Long and we won't have to worry about them... just be patient.  geez what was that?  Oh yeah. I forgot.

ace: Jester. One who sent in the Clowns, in the Dark Ages of the Chat.

Ring bells for service.

Karen

Guess I should clarify.

I don't have any personal experience with ME.  However, my fiance' is network/systems administrator as well as an independent tech guru to small businesses and home users.  He often mentions his client's many conflicts with ME.  Since most of them don't even know me, I assumed he was speaking of ME.  But now that I think about it, could he have possibly meant "me" as in he...or rather him...or whatever the case may be?

"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish..."

"...I do not like them in a house.  I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am."

ME or me...him or he...yikes!

I'd better lay down.  Think I feel a headache coming on.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Ace

Well, sure, but you're not the only one.

I've always avoided those work place relationships, so I don't know what I'd recommend if your husband's coworkers have issues with you and various conflicts.  Maybe Bear or Scuzzy or Joanie or my man, Pat, or Neon or BlueIce or Carol or Bob or Ted or Alice could open up another room just for personal counseling.  We could probably use another room around here.  

Like we could use a few dozen more stinking pandas in the world...

I can sympathize, since I go through each day with people taking issue with ME, and expressing all sorts of dislikes about ME and complaints and the like. Well, not like; dislike ME.  If it's happened to YOU, then I can understand.

So: besides what's wrong with ME what's right with 98?  Anybody got advice on if it helps much, is more stable, particular installs to avoid (Plus?), features that don't do much or much well (active desktop?)? Do it recognize things better, or offer maintenance help, or not crash..?  

Ace: Don't you forget about ME

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Win98SE is faster and more stable than Win95. Also, Win98SE has true USB support, and also supports FAT32. I believe the latest incarnation of Win95 also has FAT32 support, but only by FDisking the computer. Win98 has that feature available through its accessories, which makes converting to FAT32 easier.

FAT32 uses smaller clusters than FAT16 (FAT32=4KB clusters, FAT16=32KB clusters), so files make better use of space allocation. When you convert from FAT16 to FAT32, you'll notice that considerably more space becomes available on your hard drive (as much as 25% or more), which more than makes up for the extra space Win98SE takes up. Win98SE also has support for super-big hard drives, although I forget exactly what size. But, it's enough to put your entire photo ensemble of Pandas on it several times over.

Anywho, files use clusters as follows: Let's say you save a 64KB file to the hard drive. Using FAT16, the file would be saved to two 32KB clusters. Using FAT32, the file would be saved to sixteen 4KB clusters. With both examples, a total of 64KB of space is taken up on the hard drive. But, what if you want to save a 65KB file? The FAT16 uses three 32KB clusters (total 96KB, wasting 31KB), but the FAT32 uses seventeen 4KB clusters (total 68KB, wasting only 3KB).

NTFS is even more efficient; using only 1KB to 2KB clusters. But, it's only available in the Windows NT series.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Thanks, dude.

Oh, shoot; I mean "dud."  Well, whoever.  

Nicely stated. You know, I think my late version 95 is Fat 32 (or maybe that's my sister in law...) but it still sounds like a good benefit.  Good string, nice info, entertaining, and no obscene pseudonyms.

Golly, is this a great country or what.

Hey, my new coworker had a baby today.  Guess it would be a labor day weekend. Of course, that means I gotta cover for her and me at the job.. criminy.

Man, I gotta figure she should be back at work by Tuesday.. she worked Wednesday.

Ace: you can try to take advantage of him, but he'll beat you to it.

Ring bells for service.

n/a

Congratulations on the co-worker. That was fast work.

As for OS, I'm holding out for Windows YOURS, not mine.  

Ace

I don't know, she mighta just been faking it.. just to get away from work, or me, or whomever.  Maybe she was just putting on weight in general. Well, there, in particular, that's for sure.

I'm wondering if I should even do Windows, anymore. I know a lot of people won't.  Maybe get Unix; I bet they've got cool games bundled with it.  

So; are the football fans and team in OK repeating? It's about that time of year.  You know, 7 months till April Fool's Day.  That's like a national holiday in the Jesters' Guild.

Ace: it's a tough job being a Jester.  Just call me "Hop Frog"...

Ring bells for service.

n/a

When she comes back if I were you I'd demand to see proof she wasn't goldbricking. Have her bring one of the tike's ears to work.

As for OS, maybe you should just let it BE. Then you could avoid ME altogether.

Ace

I suppose its origins go back to Aunt Be.

Wonder if it's version 1.0 or 2.0... 2.0 Be, or not 2.0 Be...

That site was interesting; didn't know there was such a thing. That levels the playing field as much as a bulldozer does.

I might try Unix with Linux with Lynix or Linus. Or Linen, on Links 2000. I'm thinking too that, rather than do some risky OS upgrade downside, I might just change around the desktop icons instead.  Shoot, I think fooling with the cursor alone will gain a definite processing improvement. Maybe I'll try to get back to the registry, if I remember how, and try to copy over my own version of an OS to floppy. Shoot, I bet I could work the same wonders as Me.

I was thinking too about what you said about losing DOS with XP, and the tragedy of not having those commands ready to go anymore... Man, some of my personal favorites are:

C:\Diablo\RunFaster

C:Diablo\KillHimNow\Morestuff_forme\ok

C:\C:Clone:MoreSpc\Quik

C:\WWW.Where'sPoastersDangitcmondangit\shoot

C:Poasters_morerooms\haha\pndaded

C:regedit\everything\go

Hey, wait.. I think that's it.. Maybe I can get back into it and remove stuff and make room. Cool; I'll be back maybe.

Ace: you can get baby ears of corn, so why not just baby's ears.

Ring bells for service.

n/a

I had posted in another forum asking why the previous posters didn't like Windows Me, and was directed to post the question in this forum.

What is the problem with Windows Me?