• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

internet explorer

Started by holyjoe2004, January 26, 2009, 07:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

holyjoe2004

Hi
   i just wondered if you can help me, i have just downloaded firefox as its a better browswer than microsoft so i would just like to know how i can completly remove internet explorer from my pc as i no longer need it,

thank you

Buffalo2102

Personally, I wouldn't completely get rid of it as other programs (such as Windows Update) use parts of IE and it is also useful to still have for the occasional site that doesn't look right under Firefox.  Also, getting rid of it completely is difficult and fraught with potential problems.

If you really want to disable it then -

Under XP
Go into Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Click on Add/Remove Windows Components on the LH side.  Scroll down to Internet Explorer and uncheck the box.  That should make IE unavailable without actually deleting anything.

Under Vista
Go to Control Panel-->Programs-->Default Programs-->Set Program Access and Computer Defaults.  Select and expand the Custom option and where it says "Choose a Default Web Browser", to the right of Internet Explorer, uncheck the Enable Access to This Program box.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

I would second Buff's comment.  I have found some sites that will only respond to MS IE although IE and Firefox are the only 2 browsers I use.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I will third the suggestion.

I also do not like IE and I avoid using it as much as possible. But there are still a few sites that I frequent in which I have no choice but to use IE to properly render the page. Even using IE Tab is not a 100% solution.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

halokid

shoot,  a fifth here as well
but if your worried about security you could just set the maximum security settings.
setting all the internet security settings to high and blocking all cookies will efectively
"cripple" IE so you wont get a nasty viruses from active x etc. Then it will be there just in case you need it someday which is quite the possibility. Just uncriple it by slowly lowering the security settings.. I wouldnt go anywhere lower than default though  ;0
then should you need it for a handfull of sites you could just change the trusted sites parameters and punch in the trusted site. Might want to do a virus scan too as some virusesi believe work well with IE but not with Firefox as much... so the problem might be fixed with the switch to FIREFOX but a virus is still on your pc.

Buffalo2102

Personally, I don't think that Firefox a "better browser" any more.  IE7 is perfect for my needs and I have never had a problem with it.  Indeed, I had far more problems with Firefox when I used it.  I am now using the IE8 beta on Windows 7 and that too seems to perform very well.  Having a perfectly good browser already installed with my OS, I see no reason to download anything else to replace it.  I guess that's exactly what Microsoft are relying on but in this case I am happy to oblige.

Buff; waits to get flamed......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

Contrary to what you might be expecting, for the last 2 1/2 years we had IE 6 and then 7 in the office and used it trouble free.  With the addition of tabbed browsing in IE, the major difference, at least for me, disappeared.  There is one work related site that functioned better with FireFox than IE, but one verses thousands made the addition of FireFox to the server a non-event. 

There is the principle to argue but the reality, IMO, boils down to personal preference rather a distinct advantage to using one over the other.

Bill;my w cents.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Que Sera, Sera

I guess it's just whatever you're used to, if the shoe fits wear it.
(Unless it's some dang pointy toed, jingly belled, green jester boot.)

pat; Flame out...............

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Afraz01