• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

I've really fouled up this morn.

Started by Pete, February 22, 2009, 21:28 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I had a list of Services which could be changed from Automatic to Manual...and I did...Oh brother!!

Had to go out and between leaving and returniing I lost the list

Now on bootup all goes fine to the Welcome screenand it hangs for about a minute then changes to the blank desktop background,
no icons no explorer .exe

To get ato the normal desktop  I must open Task Manager and in Applications either click on explorer.exe or end it  and select new task and enter  explorer.exe then the mormal desktop returns.

Best I can figure, one or more of the services I changed from Automatic to Manual caused this but no idea  now which ones I changed.  I have gone back and changed a number of manuals back to automatic but no joy

I can  reinstall windows but wonder if anyone had any idea which service  I might change  to  return to the normal bootup desktop.?

Dell Gen4, Win XP Pro SP3...

Thanks in advance
Pete

Pete

If anyone cares to flame me , due my stupidity,I will first douse self with lighter fluid

I have had no need to use System Restorefor the past two years and didn't even think about it until after this poast

Restored to 21 Feb and all is aglow and much joy.

Sure hope noone went to the trouble to did into my poast.

pete
Pete

Mark H

The easiest thing to do would be to do system restore to a point before your modifications. State --->programs---->accessories---->system tools---->system restore.

edit: I see that you already did that while I was typing this message.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Pete

This is really somethng Ace would be guilty of with all his 100  monkeys

pete
Pete