• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

SATA Floppy failed HELP

Started by Bill, October 31, 2008, 17:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

The created Floppy failed during driver install with XP Pro  sp3.  System reports an 'unexpected error'  and I have tried several times, to no avail.  Seems I have 2 options: go somewhere like Best Buy or a local(?) computer store and let them create a new floppy or do something called slip-streaming.

The notebook has a DVD/CD-RW drive.  I however have no experience or a clue.  I found a site named howtogeek.com via google that has instructions including using nLite and maybe WINIMAGE (?).  I also have to locate Intel Matrix Storage (drivers) for the WD v-raptor.
North and South bridges are both Intel on the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard.

What kind of disks to I need for the DVD?
Are the drives likely to be on the WD, Intel, or Gigabyte site?

Thoughts?
Thanks,

Bill

EDIT: I found the drivers on the Gigabyte site and was successful (I think) in extracting them to a new folder on the notebook.

I'd appreciate it if someone would look at the slipstream instructions at howtogeek.com or provide some others to create the XP install disk.  And also a recommedation on brand and type of disks to burn. 
The DVD drive is a MATSHITA, if that matters.

Thanks,

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Will look at that site, but the last time I slip-streamed an XP disk I used autostreamer.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

Have not tried it with SP 3 though.

You will need the complete SP 3 download.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

Pat,

Thanks, the MS XP Pro disc came with sp3 on it. Its only a couple of months old.  Does this process create a complete duplicate of the XP disc with the SATA drivers so that when it finishes all of XP is installed with options to format the HD and create partions?

JA, Thanks, I will go shopping!

Edit:  Everything I've read talks about CDs not DVDs.  I bought Maxell DVD-Rs(that or Memorex was available.)  Should I have gotten CD-Rs.
Also, I don't have either DVD or CD buring software like Nero that I am aware of, but I'm assuming that would be necessary?
Recommendations? Is there shareware or Freeware I can download?

2nd Edit:  A quick Google says Nero 8 Ulitmate is available from CNET free and ver 9.0.9 is available elsewhere.  Yes?
Reviews on CNET suggest Nero 7 is a better version and smaller.
So, CD-R or DVD?  the nLite program doesn't mention DVD at all.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Bill,
I don't think you need to use the F6 option to install windows if your motherboard is set up correctly. If you review the BIOS options, Integrated Peripherals, if the three SATA options are set to disabled, the default option, the OS should install as if it were installing to a normal PATA drive.

If however you want to use the native drivers for the SATA device you would then change the options around some and do the F6. I see no reason you could not use a USB flash drive if you don't have a floppy.

Alternately you could make a disk with the drivers on it. See these sites for some reference.

http://jcalcote.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/installing-windows-xp-on-a-sata-drive/

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

pat
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

Thanks Pat.  The beast lives!  I was able to slipstream the drivers on a CD using nLite.  First attempt worked. 

I appreciate all the help.

Bill