• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

questions!!

Started by yokosi, November 20, 2002, 18:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

yokosi

Hi everyone, can anyone please describe the differences between peer to peer networking and client/server architecture.
One more question, can a video card work in a PCI bus slot?
Thanx alot guys/girls if there are any  :)
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

dcsun

Peer to peer networking is a group of systems that rely on each other for information.  Client - server networking is a group of systems that rely on specific machines for certain information.  The internet is a good example of the later.  Pages are stored on servers, and accessed by clients when required.

As for "can a video card work in a PCI bus slot?", yes they obviously can.  That's the slot video cards have used for many years before the agp slot was designed, and can still be used in any new boards.

yokosi

thanx dc, b/c i had a test and asked which slot a video card goes into and i put agp or pci and i got it wrong so i was just double checking before i go to her, thanx again.
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

scuzzy

I agree. Video cards are currently available in two versions: AGP and PCI. It's been that way for many years.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Red Squirrel

Quote from: dannycivicsi on November 21, 2002, 09:57 hrsthanx dc, b/c i had a test and asked which slot a video card goes into and i put agp or pci and i got it wrong so i was just double checking before i go to her, thanx again.

You should start a poll asking that question and point your teacher to it to show her your answer was right. ;D

dcsun

Video cards are often integrated with the motherboard as well, and if you really wanted you could probably force it to use a relic isa card too.

yokosi

I tried to tell the teacher that the video card also fits into the pci, but she said no it doesen't so i ended up getting that question wrong. Oh well there's nothing i can do about it, she wouldn't mark it right even though i told her that i'll bring my computer at home with the video card working in the pci to show her that it works b/c I know im right.

dcsun

A quick browse of any of the video card manufacturers' websites (here: http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/radeon7500/specs.html for example), or any computer store's price list (like here: http://www.com-depot.com/prices.cfm#Video%20Cards), shows that there are pci video cards in production and for sale.  If you look at hardware from three or four years ago, all you'll find is pci cards.

That's too bad.  It sounds like your teacher doesn't know too much and is one of those 'teach from the textbook' ones.  My grade 12 programming teacher attempted to teach us Visual Basic entirely from a 'teach yourself VB in 24 hours' book!  Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of computer hardware would know that video cards exist in more than just the agp format (and feel free to quote me on that).  Sounds like you've got a long semester ahead of you, but maybe things will get better.

scuzzy

I'm stunned that your teacher would be so ignorant about such a basic fact. Obviously, your teacher has a lot to learn.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

yokosi

thanx guys, im in my first semester and have 5 more to go, so I have alot to learn still.  You are right about my teacher not knowing much.  She just gets slides made by the other hardware teacher and reads word by word off the slide.  There's a few people that know more than her and when they correct her she always gets ****** off and tells them to teach the class.  Ya i don't really like her at all, this is not the only time she was a *****, on one of my previous tests i got like 88% on it and she marked a couple questions wrong and she wouldn't change it, she said i already had a high enough mark.  She is very ignorant, can't wait until the class is over.

Edited by Scuzzy. Please be careful with your wording.

AhadAhad

danny: Seiously, I got mad just reading how ****** your teahcer is.  If I were you, I wouldn't let this slide.  I'd love to make her feel like a ********.  geez, some people.

Edit: We set high standards for our forum. We're different from many other sites, in that we do not allow any type of personal attacks, no matter how it's worded. So, I'll give you the same advice: Please be careful with your wording. - Scuzzy

iansl

You can get GeForce 4 MX420 in PCI at  www.tigerdirect.com.
(Scuzzy, can youfix the link?)
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

dcsun

Quote from: iansl on December 26, 2002, 10:03 hrsYou can get GeForce 4 MX420 in PCI at  www.tigerdirect.com.
(Scuzzy, can youfix the link?)

I don't think anyone here was actually looking to buy one, but thanks for the link :)

iansl

For the teacher. ;) Also, if you wanted to upgrade from a 8MB ATI Rage 128 VR Ultra (I have one, but I'm buying a new system, not upgrading.)
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone