• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Kernel memory?

Started by Bill, February 12, 2006, 09:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

In the performance tab of W. task manager, lower right, is Kernel memory.  Listed as total, paged and nonpaged.  The paged number is 3 times higher than the nonpage number.

Could someone point me to a explanation or offer a simple one?  I have a gig of memory and a fixed size page file of 1700mb on the D drive.  I don't think I do much that is intensive.  Why would the page file number be that much higher than the nonpaged usage?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Bill

OK, the further I get the more questions arise.
After digesting the following:

Kernel:
The fundamental part of a program, typically an operating system, that resides in memory at all times and provides the basic services. It is the part of the operating system that is closest to the machine and may activate the hardware directly or interface to another software layer that drives the hardware.

Kernel Memory:
The memory used by the operating system, which is protected and cannot be accessed by regular applications. Virtual memory can be used to page some of the kernel in memory to disk. However, there is always a certain part of the kernel that must reside in physical memory at all times and cannot be swapped out.

So, kernel memory is paged or swapped to allow running apps access to greater amounts of memory?  Wouldn't paging out kernel memory, at least theoretically, be slower than not paging.

Does adding a greater amount of physical memory change the kernel memory allocation and therefore reduce the kernel paging? But practically, XP will run OK with 512 mb so there must be a limit of useable kernel memory?

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit