• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Tips on How to build a computer

Started by John, October 01, 2002, 14:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

There are a number of really good sites on the web, which give step-by-step instructions on how to build a computer.  Most of us here at Poasters who build our own systems build using AMD CPU's (processors).  Search through our site here.  Many poaster's who have built systems poast the components that they have chosen to build their systems with.  One place you can check if you decide to build is Duxcw (check out their How To section) or you might try going to Google, which is a great search engine.  Type in the query space How to build a computer this should show links to many different sites providing valuable information.  

Here is a list of some items to take into account when you decide to build.

1.  Cost  (need vs. want)

2.  What do you expect from the system

3.  Choosing the right components (compatible parts)

4.  Your level of confidence
     (perhaps a Barebones system to start off with)

a bare bones system usually consists of a Case and Power supply, Motherboard, and processor already assembled. The components very depending on what your needs are.  The components are usually tested to ensure they work properly before sale (but not always).

5.  Power supply

the most overlooked item when building a system.  The power supply decides the type of component that can be used in the system most notably the processor.  As a rule the cost of a power supply impacts the value and performance of the power supply. In other words you get what you pay for.  I prefer that the minimum size power supply to use is 350watt, however I will go larger at times depending on the components I use. For more information on the importance of power supplies and computer case?s read this from Computeraid

6.  Case and fans

Case's or enclosures as they are sometimes called come in a multitude of types, colors, sizes, and formats.  Probably the most used formats are AT and ATX.  This also holds true for power supplies as well.  A good case to consider should be large enough inside to support the components and provide for good airflow. It should have at least 3 or 4 (5.25") front drive bays and at least 1 or 2  (3.5") front drive bays and 2 or 3 (3.5") internal drive bays.  It should also have at least one front (blowing to the inside) case fan of at least 80mm and one rear (blowing to the outside) 80mm case fan.  For example in one of my systems I have 2 fans in front and 2 fans in the rear.  The fans help circulate air and aid in cooling the system, which is very important.  

7.  Patience and confidence in your own abilities
quite possibly the most important of all things to consider.

8. Moteherboard
The motheroard will decide what components you can use i.e. processor (CPU) Memory (RAM) Video card (graphics card) Sound card which on most motherboards is integrated into the motherboard by means of a sound processor chip. Or you can opt to get a standard PCI soundcard. Most higher end systems use a dedicated Sound Card.
Cogito Ergo Sum