• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

not really computer hardware but i have a problem

Started by trav, March 18, 2004, 23:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

trav

OK, I was listening to music today and had my reciever on very loud as of my relatives wanted to hear music in the other room and my reciever just shut off...I turned it on and there are no lights, no display, nothing. The reciever only clicks once, (not twice like it usually does), when i turn the switch on, it looks like its just off

Reciever: STR-DE345

What do I do here? Please help me!!!
Thanks ever so much

PS. could i have blown a fuse?
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Shadow Lynx

trav

CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Shadow Lynx

I know. The latter doesn't sound very fun. First I'd try replacing the fuse. If that doesn't do anything might wanna contact the company who built it.

44mayg

I'm kinda familiar with the way they work, so I'll venture a small bit of info. Also, the best way to find something out is to take the cover off and do a visual inspection first. Use your nose too.

Anyway, the first click is going to be the main relay kicking on. Since most fuses are for main power, I'm going to guess it's not a fuse problem.

The first click powers up primary circuits and gives a short warm up delay. When things are sufficiently juiced up, the second relay (click) kicks in. This powers the rest of the circuits to go ahead and produce sound.

From description only, I could be wrong, but it's somewhere to start. There might even be a secondary fuse inside. Less likely, a reset of some sort. Depends on how sophisticated the receiver is.

Dude! It's r-e-c-E-I-v-e-r

If I cranked my stereo loud so people in the next room could hear it, they could hear it OK......., next block over and 5 houses down :-)

trav

Well, Ihave heard that there are two fuses in the DE345....Mabye i blew one of em? I really dont wanna go buying a new receiver.

trav

44mayg

OK, I did a search for your model number. I also downloaded the owners manual.

What I could find is it does have a protection circuit. But if this is activated, your panel should say "Protection", or something like that. Only solution mentioned is to get rid of the short and fire it up again. (Such as shorted speakers) This doesn't sound like what happened to you.

I also read this is a very hot running amp. If yours has quit under the conditions you mentioned, it sounds more serious than a fuse. But you won't really know till you open it up and check the fuses and boards. Check the boards visually for burned out components and also use your nose to smell for burned out components.

Uhhhhhh, by the way. At your young age, do all this with the amp unplugged.

You can also do a search on Google for the model number and come up with many sites with more info than I put here. Mine's just basic info, but there are those that go into detail about getting deeper inside.

Buffalo2102

While I don't disagree with any of the advice here I feel it wise to point out that opening the amp yourself could invalidate any warranty that you may have.

You probably knew this anyway though..........
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

trav

Quote from: 44mayg on March 19, 2004, 03:03 hrs
OK, I did a search for your model number. I also downloaded the owners manual.

What I could find is it does have a protection circuit. But if this is activated, your panel should say "Protection", or something like that. Only solution mentioned is to get rid of the short and fire it up again. (Such as shorted speakers) This doesn't sound like what happened to you.

I also read this is a very hot running amp. If yours has quit under the conditions you mentioned, it sounds more serious than a fuse. But you won't really know till you open it up and check the fuses and boards. Check the boards visually for burned out components and also use your nose to smell for burned out components.

Uhhhhhh, by the way. At your young age, do all this with the amp unplugged.

You can also do a search on Google for the model number and come up with many sites with more info than I put here. Mine's just basic info, but there are those that go into detail about getting deeper inside.

Well, I had turned the volume up from like 18 to 20 when this happened....VERY VERY loud...took speaker covers off and speakers were un-doutebly vibrating. Should have gone on PROTECTION. After I find a sutable screwdriver, I will take a look inside ;) I have tried to disconnect EVERYTHING and fire it up but nothing happens

Mark H

Check your speakers also. They might have a protection circuit as well such as a reset button or a fuse.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

trav

we found out what it was. Me and my grandpa took off the cover and the fuse was REALLY black :o ! So, we are going to Radioshack to get a new fuse, today. We had also tried the Sony Store, but they don't sell fuses. Why's that?

trav

No, it wasnt the fuse, we bought two new ones and once we put (both) of them im (we had two tries, theres only one fuse for the whole reciever), we blew 'em both, just a spark, no smell , so its probabbly nothing big....

Mark H

Nothing big? It sounds like a short somewhere if your fuses keep blowing.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Chandler

The fuses are there for a reason, protection.  They are blowing because the unit is malfunctioning.

I'd send it to a proper repair shop if I were you.

trav

Quote from: Mark H on March 21, 2004, 14:01 hrs
Nothing big? It sounds like a short somewhere if your fuses keep blowing.

Mark H
Thats what were thinking.

QuoteThe fuses are there for a reason, protection.  They are blowing because the unit is malfunctioning.

I'd send it to a proper repair shop if I were you.
My grandpa is taking it to a repair shop this week :) ....what I'm wondering, is why didnt P R O T E C T I O N kick in when I turned it up too high? (when you turn it up too high, or wires are touching eactother, te sound cuts out and the screen says "protection", all you do is turn it off and on again and it works, this didnt happen this time)

44mayg

Heat damage doesn't always show up right away. It can accumulate over time. And from what I read about these amps, they tend to run hot. It's possible the glass insulation on the primary transformer(s) windings was almost ready to go and finally did before the protection circuit kicked in. Could even be a secondary transformer problem.

I'm curious as to why there was the first click, which sounds like a relay, yet the fuse was blown. Usually the fuse is directly connected with main power. If the fuse is rated something like 250V - 2amp, that would indicate protection to cut off main power source. (120 volts)

Maybe it's tied somehow in with the way the protection circuit works, which might be just another relay.

Electronics are weird :-)