• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ink cartridges

Started by frenchie47, May 13, 2004, 03:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

frenchie47

Don't know if this is the right forum to post this, but has anyone any views on compatible ink cartridges?

Hving just bought a Canon i865, and finding genuine cartridges hard to find (I know I don't need them just yet, but will do so sooner or later) I wondered if any of the compatible cartridges on offer would do harm to the printer.

Mark H

I think compatable ink cartridges would be fine if they are made for that printer. Where you can run into problems is if you are doing calibrating your monitor and printer for color accuracy. With a different brand of ink cartridge, you might get some color shift requiring another calibration.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

frenchie47

Thanks Mark H

Just been out and found some genuine cartridges, but they're 12 Euros each - a total of 60 Euros for the five (about $71)

Wade777

with the cost of ink cartridges you might as well just buy a new printer ;)
Need a custom computer?
Check out my website:
http://www.microhardcomputers.com

frenchie47

Yes Wade777 I think you might be right

Chandler

You might as well just go for the compatible cartridges.  I take the risk with my Epson printers, even though the printhead is built into the printer (and once ruined the printer is ruined).  I've saved so much money on ink for the Epson C42UX that its paid for about 2 new C42's anyway!

Some brands do have slight colour variations, but it doesn't matter for me, and photos look fine to me.

iansl

Well, if you want to compare it,

My Printer
Black $20
Grey: $20
Photo: $25
Color: $35

That makes...$100
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

frenchie47

Thanks Chandler - I've taken the plunge and ordered some. As the printer is a Canon, I understand I can change the printhead if the worst comes to the worst, or even just buy a new printer complete.

Iansl - thought my costs were bad enough.

pat

Here?s an article from PC World with some tips on cutting printing costs.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Neon

I read the article linked above a few weeks ago, and one of the important points emphasized in this article from the same publication:
PC World

is that there is considerable variation in the quality of bargain inks - most will deliver acceptable quality prints, and most will fade faster than manufacturer's ink. Some lesser quality inks will cause clogging problems also.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

frenchie47

Thanks Pat, thanks Neon - appreciate the input.

Whizbang

I buy the original only when there is some bankrupcy sale.  Canons have been the easiest to work with because of the separate printhead on the newer models.  The brand of the "Off-brand" is critical.  Some are really good on some models while lax on others.  I bought a replacement one time that was advertised as "new cartridges from another source other than OEM."  They were simply refurbished Epsons with a generic label pasted over the Epson stamped-in-plastic logo.  It worked OK, but I do not like the false advertising, and I will not buy from that source again.

frenchie47

Thanks Whizbang - it obviously pays to look around. I certainly like the idea of the separate cartridges and also the separate print head. I used to have a Lexmark, but if one colour was depleted, you had to change the complete cartridge.