• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

120gb IDE HD

Started by andypress, February 21, 2003, 22:31 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

andypress

"Nick Burns, the company' s computer guy. He'll fix your computer, then he's gonna make fun of you, Cause he's Nick Burns, your company's computer guy!

pat

I think I'd rather buy a name brand so I knew what I was getting.
You can get a Western Digital Special Edition 120gig drive from newegg for 141.00.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=14&manufactory=1306&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
Costs a little more, but you also get a 3 year warranty and an 8mb cache.
Or take a look at what Maxtor has to offer. With a generic drive I question what kind of service you would get if you needed it.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

query

The "generic" drives are made by one of the major companies in the business - but I wonder whether they might be seconds, or drives that didn't pass tests well enough to be labeled with the manufacturer's brand name, sort of like GradeB or C memory chips.

I guess if you have a play or spare system a generic drive might be OK - but I would not want to rely on a drive that the manufacturer won't stand behind for storage of anything important.

Neon

I suspect that pat and query's advice is sound. When I searched for the Mfg Part #:  L01J100 on Google, several "hot deals" sites are linked, including BestBuy. Some of these claim that it is a Maxtor drive. However, I was not able to locate this model number, or any similar number, at maxtor.com. Therefore, it would seem to be a model that Maxtor does not offer for sale through its retail channels. Proceed at your data's risk.

By the way, I just love BestBuy's description of this drive:
QuoteThis generous hard drive starts with 100.0GB of storage, then adds 20.0GB free for a roomy 120.0GB maximum capacity. The 7200 rpm spindle speed access and saves your data quickly.
::) ::) ::)  Who writes this stuff?
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

query

Likely scenario:  these are OEM drives built either for system integrators (OEMs), or they're built specifically for sale by retailers.  Component vendors do this all the time with OEM parts - then the support and repair responsibility becomes that of the reseller, not the manufacturer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these drives are showing up now -- Comp, Best Buy, etc. are likely taking advantage of the shorter warranties on drives these days to sell at low cost.

The drives may be just as good as the ones Maxtor sells itself -- or they may be marginal units that Maxtor doesn't want to take responsibility for.

Considering the amount of time that gets lost if a drive fails, and the already low prices on brand-name drives, I'd say they are likely no bargain.