• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Net Work Design Question

Started by redwolfy, November 02, 2002, 19:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

redwolfy

I got a question. I am trying to design a small network. heres the Facts.
I will be using Satellite for the ISP( Noway Around that one)
Four remote stations. Heres where the problem comes in. the four im trying to new wtork are in differant apartments.(Already got permission to do so)
All distance is based off where the modem and router will be. Lets Call it Apartment A
Distance from A to B aprtment is =40 meters
A to C =200 meters
A to D =300 meters
there actually in a inverted L shape  B-A being top leg C-D botum Leg.
I plan on connecting them to the Modem then to a router from router Cat5 to hub daisey chain the hubs using Cat5 to each apartment.

The question i am asking can cat5 go that distance or what is the max distance i can go before i have to put in a repeater. And then most of it  will be ariel so how bad does weather effect it?I will have commercial grade bandwidth. So the limted bandwidth that Sat provide shouldent be too bad. Most users will be using it for internet service. I wasent sure where to post this so if i put it in the wrong place sorry DC.

dcsun

The basic range seems to be around 100m/300ft, but I guess it would depend on some other factors as well.  Sounds like you're going to have to get creative if you need to go 300m!

By aerial, do you mean along the side of a building, or along hydro wires?  If the former you should be okay -- I've attached cat5 cable to the outside of a building without any problems.  If the later, I think you'll need some specialized cable as well as a trained professional to install it.

If you provide more details I can probably give you a more specific answer.

redwolfy

well Router and modem will be in my place since . So i think that running the Cat5 straight from router to the closest apt. Then Cat5 to the one thats about 200m which will be along the apartment .Then i guess i need to put a repeater on that end then run it from there(C to D) to the other place which is about 200 meters away.With the repeater i should be alright? im guess high in the length better to be safe then sorry. you dont think i will need to go with a higher shieled cable for the outside?

dcsun

It's really hard to say, but I guess it depends on how difficult it is to install the cable.  If it's not too bad I'd just go with the standard stuff and see how it goes.

redwolfy

Thanks for the info i will let you know how it goes.

redwolfy

Ok i am looking into something else . how about Wireless? I dont know anything really about them.

What is the standard range 300 feet? they say its supports 11m traffic so what does that really mean and how about FPS any one know?
Whats the major differance between 2,4Ghz and the 5GHz i live in  rural place so i dont think there would be too much interferance. this is a router i found but i couldent see how many remotes it could handle

Compliant Standards - FCC Class B certified, CE, CSA, UL, TUV, VCCI Class B ITE
Encryption Algorithm - 128-bit WEP, 64-bit WEP

Expansion / Connectivity  
Port(s) Total / Connector Type - 4 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 4 ? 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 - 1 ? 1 x network - Radio-Ethernet

Networking  
Remote Management Protocol - HTTP
Network / Transport Protocol - TCP/IP, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, PPPoE
Max Range Indoors / Outdoors - 980 ft
Bandwidth - 2.4 GHz
Data Transfer Rate - 100 Mbps
Compliant Standards - IEEE 802.3-LAN, IEEE 802.3U-LAN, IEEE 802.11b-LAN
Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b
Features - Firewall protection, dynamic IP address assignment , IP-routing, DHCP support, NAT support, VPN, VLAN support, manageable
Connectivity Technology - Wireless, cable
Status Indicators - Port status, link activity, power

Environmental Parameters  
Humidity Range Operating - 15 - 95%
Min Operating Temperature - 32 ?F
Max Operating Temperature - 104 ?F

Power  
Power Device - Power adapter - external
Voltage Provided - 9 V

General  
Device Type - Router
Form Factor - External
Weight - 1.5 lbs
Height - 1 in
Width - 8.6 in
Depth - 5.2 in
Built-in Devices - Antenna

Warranty  
Service & Support Details - Limited warranty - parts and labor - life-time
Service & Support - Lifetime warranty

dcsun

You may find the extra cost involved in the wireless equipment worth it, depending on how difficult the cable installation is.  You're always better off with solid cable if you can, but that may very well be a decent alternative.

redwolfy

Extra cost isnt so bad. I dont want to run the cable and have it go to four differant apartments lookling like a spider web. Or run the cable and find that the apartment is actually 320 feet away and the connection isnt worth it. We have premission to do it that because we are (Senior management) so the idea out of site out of mind. that router has the range but i am wondering with its 2.4 gHz operating freq will that cause problems? The 5 ghz one seem to all stay around the same range. 300 indoor and 1250 outdoor. Im not sure if i should go with that being some of the distance is just that 300 but they would only have to go thru two thin walls. So that shouldent cut down too much. in your opion which one would you go with? Cost isnt that bad i am willing to go 400 for a router another 100 per station. I would like to support five stations bcause theres still someone else that might join.

dcsun

Generally the higher the frequency and the greater the range the better performance and reliability you'll get out of it, but I really haven't done too much work with wireless.  Do your homework and read the specs carefully, and you should be fine.