• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Missing USB Ports

Started by mbaldw, June 26, 2008, 02:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi folks,

last night I was merrily working away on VirtualDub editing some video, when (just after closing the program) my PC shutdown.   It didn't bluescreen or even restart; it logged out of Windows and shut the PC down.   I'm not too concerned about that because I think it was a glitch with the shutdown filter on the software and probably unrelated to my problem.   However, I found that upon powering back up none of my USB ports work!   All of the ports on the top and back of my tower are now dead (I've tried various USB devices and nothing happened with any of them) ââ?¬â?? theyââ?¬â?¢re all connected to the mobo, rather than being PCI.

Just prior to the shutdown (as in about 15 mins before) the USB ports were working perfectly and there was no sign of any problems on the (re)start-up.   Interestingly, when I look in Device Manager the USB bits (including the hubs) are all still there.   I found that if I uninstalled the USB hardware and then scanned for hardware changes (again, in Device Manager) it detects all bits and reinstalls them without any problems - I've restarted after doing this and they're all still dead.   One interesting point that I did spot was that the power light for my USB memory card reader comes on when I plug it in, but Windows doesn't load any of the drives and there's no response (lights, sound or otherwise) to inserting memory cards.   Equally as interesting is that my wireless mouse & keyboard are still working and I'm pretty sure that they are USB (although I'm at work at the moment so I can't confirm that).

Before I go back to Novatech (who sold me the bundle less than a year ago) I wanted to know if there was anything I could try my end to troubleshoot this.   Any ideas?

Cheers,
Marc.

p.s. all the other ports I'm using (networking, firewire etc.) are working.   I'm running XP Home (SP2) and none of the spyware (AD-Aware & SpyBot) or AV (NOD32) checks I've run have flagged anything untoward.

mbaldw

How bizarre.   I fired up the PC after getting home from work last night and, lo-and-behold, the USB ports were working!   I have no idea what the problem was, or how it fixed itself.   Strange.

Cheers,
Marc.

Buffalo2102

Glad we could help........
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.