• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Broadband on two hard disks.

Started by Traveller, June 01, 2008, 19:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

I have broadband on W98SE.

I wanted to try out Linux (fully installed, not Live CD), so I removed my original hard disk and installed another one, which I formatted and installed Linux on.

Is it possible to install and use my broadband on the hard disk with Linux on it without it affecting my original broadband connection/account (I want to be able to swap between the two disks)?

Thanks.

pat

Yes it is possible and it shouldn't affect anything. I've done it many times.

By the way, which Linux distro did you try?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Great news Pat!

I'm just trying out an OLD cd which I got a long time ago (Ubuntu 6.06.01 LTS). I think it's Dapper Drake, but I'm not sure.

I understand that distros update EXTREMELY frequently and should be checked often to make sure that you've got the latest one, however, my pc and Internet connection aren't very stable at all, so instead of going to the trouble of downloading/obtaining the latest one, I thought I'd just try out the old one to at least get a taste for things.

Something that's been puzzling me though. Wherever I read about Ubuntu, it states that it's a long, hard learning curve with all kinds of codes to know about etc, but it looks just like a normal GUI to me. Where does the learning curve/codes, etc come in??

Thanks Pat.