• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

newbie network test

Started by Gracie, May 24, 2004, 16:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Gracie

hello oh wonderful ones, Gracie here.

I have a P4, windows ME system here, which I have just put a network card in and would like to test it all works without hooking it up to our local area network, just let it access the router and get broadband direct . Is that possible?  

I have made sure tcp/ip is bound to the card, don't want to activate print and file sharing - I just want to access the net via broadband to  ensure that  it can before I return it.

I assume I will have to tell it the routers address, is that all?

thank you
Gracie :)

Buffalo2102

Hi Gracie.

It depends on your router.  Most routers have their own DHCP server built-in. If this is the case with yours, you just have to set TCP/IP on the PC to obtain an IP address automatically.  Then tell Windows ME Internet Explorer that you connect via LAN.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Gracie

oh, right, I will try that... I thought I should tell the  win me machine the IP address of the router, but  can't remember how to find it.  

I will see what happens if I try to go on the net - the router  hasn't lit up the extra lights for that port yet, so I am not hopeful, but its all a learning experience int it. :)

Gracie

well, coo! it seems to be  on the net! Thankyou Buffalo x :)

Whizbang

My router was just plug-and-play.  I was almost looking over my shoulder to see what I had done that I did not know that I did.  :P  I would skip the networking card completely because it is just an added piece that is unnecessary.  As stated by Buffalo, the router has its internal networking connection system.

Gracie

oh dear, I replied too quickly - I thought it was on the web as Google came up and appeared to be 'live', but it wasn't. Silly me

It is late now and I must go to bed. Tomorrow I will try pinging it as 192.168.1.3 or 4  and see what happens.

I ran the xp disk on it to give it the  same config as the others, I have put in a gateway address (...1.1),  TCP/IP is  the protocol. Client  for MS networks is on. It can see itself in  my network places but nowt else - which is ok as I don't need to get it on the lan, just to access the broadband. I thought I might need to give it  the routers 'outside' IP address, the one that gets renewed, but I don't know how to do that.

What else must I do? It is just to get it to access the net via BB, so I can update the spy utils quickly and  see that it is doing what it is supposed to do.

There isn't a logon screen I noticed. Is that right? Shouldn't it show one so that I can log on to the network??

night night folk