• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Internal DSL Modems

Started by JimS, November 08, 2008, 07:28 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JimS

Hi, everyone...

My son's (JoeS and Dan$) desktop computers have Linksys internal wireless network cards for internet access from our Linksys router.  The signals they receive is never consistent nor very strong, and repositioning their computers isn't an easy option.  Since there are already telephone lines in every bedroom, I thought an internal DSL modem might be the ticket.  However, they don't seem a common item.  I've seen prices for them ranging from $10.00 to $80.00, but given their relative scarcity, I'm not inclined to purchase them.  An external modem would be an option, but they run around $50.00 each and I'd rather not contribute to more clutter on their desks (they do a good enough job on their own).  So, my questions are:
1)  Why are internal DSL modems seemingly uncommon?
2)  Are there functional issues with them?
3)  Would having more than one DSL modem on one DSL line significantly impair bandwidth, or cause other problems?
4)  Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable internal DSL modem?  Or a good (and reasonable) external DSL modem?

Thank you in advance.

- JimS (the blond(e) jokester)
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

JimS,
I cannot help with the DSL questions, but there is a wealth of information about boosting signal strength available and adding access points to a network.  Before investing in another approach you might want to take a look at this poast.

http://tinyurl.com/5ju2lm

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Buffalo2102

Quote from: JimS on November 08, 2008, 07:28 hrs
1)  Why are internal DSL modems seemingly uncommon?
Very little demand I guess - most people want one device that incorporates a DSL modem, router and wireless access point.
2)  Are there functional issues with them?
I am not aware of any but have no experience of them - at least they don't need an additional power supply.
3)  Would having more than one DSL modem on one DSL line significantly impair bandwidth, or cause other problems?
I do not think you can have more than one DSL modem on a single telephone line.  The ISP will be expecting one device to log in to the DSL account and so only issue one IP address.  I guess if it were possible though, it would more than likely have an impact on bandwidth.
4)  Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable internal DSL modem?  Or a good (and reasonable) external DSL modem?
There are too many to list really.  Look at the more popular makes such as Netgear, Linksys D-Link, Draytec and Buffalo.
As Bill says, there are other options like trying to improve the wireless signal you have.  Unfortunately, if you swap to wireless-n say, you would have to replace the Linksys and the wireless adapter in each PC. Alternatively, you could try the home networking via power outlets?  That is supposed to be pretty good.  You could just plug the Linksys and the PCs into the nearest mains electrical outlet (assuming they each have an ethernet port) and that's it.  Do a search for Homeplug and that should yield some results.

Hope this helps...

Buff.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

JimS

Thank you, Bill and Buff.  There's a lot to go through in the link you provided, Bill, and I'll check out the Homeplug.

Exactly what is a wireless access point?  Is this a device that boosts the wireless signal?  Bill's link keeps referring to them.  I currently have a Westell DSL modem and a Linksys wireless-G router.

Thanks again.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Buffalo2102

Quote from: JimS on November 10, 2008, 11:56 hrs
Exactly what is a wireless access point?  Is this a device that boosts the wireless signal?  Bill's link keeps referring to them.  I currently have a Westell DSL modem and a Linksys wireless-G router.

Your Linksys contains a wireless access point - it is basically a wireless transmitter/receiver to give wireless devices access to a wired network.  The wired network in your case is just the network between your DSL modem and the router.  It doesn't boost the wireless signal, it actually originates it.

It seems that Linksys do actually provide replacement antennas that are supposed to improve the range and quality of the wireless signal from their routers.  You just need to find out what kind of connector your existing antenna uses and buy the replacement antenna that fits.  See this link - http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1118334619675&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1967539789L07

If you look at the data sheets for each product I think they list the devices that they are suitable for.  If you find a suitable replacement antenna that may well be the cheapest and easiest route for you.  A word of warning though - this will extend the range of your network and will potentially make it accessible to more people so make sure your network is as secure as it can be.....

Cheers

Buff

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

JimS

Thanks, there's some good info here.  Buff raises a good point about the potential problems with multiple modems on one line.  Both the Homeplug and the replacement antennae sound like good options.  I've been kinda busy with work and haven't had a chance to really digest the links, but I'll have to see which of these offers the most bang for the buck.

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet