• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ace's New Year's Revolutions

Started by Ace, December 27, 2002, 06:12 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

I definitely plan to revolve, during the new year.  This desk chair I got last year spins pretty well.  

I gleefully await Doom III, which should arrive on store shelves in 6 to 9 to 30 or who knows how many months, the way they keep putting it off, so that I can horrify myself and roll across the room each time a baddie or some scary something jumps out of the screen toward me.  Criminy, playing Quake II I used to jump back and my wife would know I was playing it by the "thump-thump-thump  slide" every few minutes.  Now, with wheels, I may just make it out the den door to the staircase.  I hope it's not too real, scary.

It should use DirectX 12 or so by the time it makes it out of development.  Probably won't even work with a G4orce card, by then.   I'm exaggerating.  Not.

Otherwise, the poasters are revolting usually so you all can join in on my revolutions, too.

So far I've come up with:

1. Quit counting the commas Bubba uses, as that gives me a headache.

2. Don't fall for any poaster Math problems, as I always get those wrong and it makes Scuzzy get old, fast.

3. Don't correct my spelling, just other peoples.

4. Don't show off my English degree, as that can intimidate other Poasters.

5. Watch Nightmare Before Christmas annually forever, as I do anyway.  And continue to move the Nightmare Snow Globe down to a prime location between Halloween and Christmas.  "I looked behind the cyclop's eye.. I did!"

6. Eagerly await the 3rd ring movie, and get the 2nd on DVD ASAP.  But not get gouged by some lousy price initially.  That's the trick.

7. Try in vain to get my wife to stop buying videos, so we can make the conversion complete... unless it's some old movie I've already seen too many times (see "Ghost") and then I'd rather she wasted about $6 than $15.

8. Get back to light beer.  I have to blame this on somebody, so it might as well be Heineken.  

9. Go do the dang Nordic Track instead of popping into the chatroom to poast stupid stuff nobody's gonna read anyway.

10. Not buy another amplifier for at least a year, now that I have the Blues Jr. and the AVT20.  Criminy, it's not like I'm gonna multitask or get amphibouis amphibous ambidextrous anytime soon.

11. Well, that's 10.  lists usually stop at ten, so I'll stop for now.

Purdue's on New Year's Eve day, so I guess I'll miss that.  ND plays on New Year's, but they haven't been on for two months so that probably won't go well.  If they're in green they're doomed...

Doom.  It's coming.  Hold your breath.  Unless you want to be alive when it gets here, then I wouldn't advise that for half a year or year.

Ace; I suppose, with 4 characters going, I can do Diablo II for 6 more months... sorta been there/done that, though.  I guess I can play "Chatroom", too.  
Ring bells for service.

Bubba

Ace's poasts,,,, they are just like a train wreck, you know they are going to be ugly, but ya' just gotta' look,,,,,,
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Ace

Oh, sure. Blame me for my poasts.  

Ace; Bubba is commatoes on New Year's.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Speaking of revolting, I went and saw the second LOTR the other day. I sure don?t know where they got the story for the movie, but that certainly isn?t the same LOTR that I read.
I thought they did a crap job with the first one and this one was just as bad.
I give the directors and producers my double pooh award.
Oh the movie was OK to watch and the special effects were pretty good, but I just think for all the dough they spent they could have done better. Perhaps they should try doing Bored of the Rings next.

On another revolt, if you get the chance to see Bowling for Columbine I certainly recommend it. That was one well thought out movie.

Well that?s not 10, but there?s still time before the new year to add some more.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Huh.  I thought the first was entertaining.  Especially compared to Harry Pooter, whom I thought was more child-ish.  

Of course, I think I only made it halfway to the 2nd book, so it's not like my opinion is based on reality in that regard.  Did not like the idea of the first one ending in the middle.  Well, the third, I guess.  Problematic to have to have 2 movies that are "to be continued" and leave you hanging.  Sounds like the third is more to everyone's liking, and will be the big build-up send off shebang.

I tell ya, after the JarJarBing embarrassment embarassment embarrassamment shoot "first episode" StarWars mistake I don't care if they ever do one of those again.  I think the effects are obvious, and distracting, in those things.  And geez louise, hasn't the Enterprise been retired yet?  Buncha clones... including Data.  That's redundant.

I did see Blade II this week; got it for Xmas.  (that's in the spirit...).  It's more like crouching tiger/hidden panda than the first, with the computer effects and choreography.  Good family fun, though, except it sure ain't for children.  Good cartoon, though.  Ice Age is a hoot, to me.  

Geez, don't mention guns and stuff, though.  Not that the elves couldn't use more firepower.  Scuzzy will be driving and flashing his way in here in seconds if that topic comes up.  

Ace; hey Bubba, made you look.  

shoot, I haven't seen a train wreck since I stopped going to rotten.com.  Can't say I've missed them...
Ring bells for service.

Bubba

In the last couple years, there have been some great war movies. Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan,Windtalkers,We Were Soldiers, and Band of Brothers.
As always they are still Hollywood movies,  there probably was no love triangle involving the two hottest pilots at Pearl, there was no Private Ryan to rescue, and Windtalkers seemed to emphasize Nicholas Cage's acting rather than the true story. We Were Soldiers does follow pretty close to the actual events, other than the fact that there was even a more vicious battle the day after Hal Moore and his troupes were relieved.
My favorite is Band of Brothers, that is a must see, no glory seeking big name actors, and the story is 10 episodes or about 10 hours long. It is very compelling and follows the "true" story much better. If you only see one, make it Band of Brothers, 5 stars

And Ace, my avatar can beat up your avatar anytime,,,,,

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Ace

Finally; something to talk about instead of Pizza.

I thoroughly enjoyed Private Ryan; own it, so will view again soon.  I thought "Enemy At the Gate" matched it in initial intensity, and horror.  Have not seen Pearl Harbor; I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but think I know how it comes out.

"Windtalkers" sounds too much like the family when we barbeque Brats.

I got the uncut Apocalypse Now, but haven't viewed it yet.  Also got the redone BladeRunner; thought that came out nicely, but got a stupid widescreen video so have to redo that as a DVD.  

For all time greats, I'd go with:  Last Boy Scout, just for the snappy dialogue.  Reservoir Dogs; bloodiest bloodletting ever.  SouthPark; for the message.

Ace; oh, and Pulp Fiction just for keeping things straight.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Pulp Fiction, truly a classic. Every bit as good as Taxi driver.
Believe it or not the first time I went to see Apocalypse Now was a midnight showing and I fell asleep, go figure. I went and saw it again a few days later, but I?m not really too big on war movies, not that there?s anything wrong with them. Especially since I saw Born on the Forth of July.
Perhaps I?ll look into Band of Brothers.

We have a movie theatre in town here, the Vicker?s Theatre. They play a lot of movies you just don?t see anywhere else. I get down there and watch them as I get the chance. I worked quite a bit on the renovation of the place, it is one of my favorite projects I?ve been involved in.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bubba

ok,, I think we have done this before, but it is always sorta' fun,,,,,,,,,

My Favorite 10 movies, not necessarily in order but close, my definition of "favorite" means movies that really grabbed a hold of me

1. The GodFather 2
2. The Godfather
3. JFK
4. Platoon
5. Apocalypse Now
6. Aliens
7. The Exorcist
8. Mash
9. Forrest Gump
10. How The West Was Won

*Band of Brothers gets honorable mention, as it is not a "movie". I also discovered that when you replay the series on VHS, instead of watching an episode, then waiting a week, like we had to do on HBO, the story flows so much better, and has much more impact, it is a great rainy day tape to watch.

Ace

Well, that was fun while it lasted.  

I guess "Band of Brothers" is about the Cowsills.  Or maybe Partridge Family.  Unless you meant Oasis, or even Dire Straits, for a couple years.  And watching a tape of a rainy day.... geez, I'm thinking even Twister beats that.  

The movie, not the floor game.

I do own the Aliens box set.  Each one has its own personal touch.  Usually with that freaky little head coming out of the bigger freaky head.  

Forrest Gump, I have as much recollection about as Pat with Apocalypse.  I know it was very long, and was about shrimp or chocolate.  I did like Mash the movie better than the series.  The Exorcist was horrific, when it came out.  Well, even before it came out and it was just sitting there green and grinning.  I guess you could have an award for "best projectile vomiting", just like "sweatiest movie" or "bloodiest movie."

I used to like going to small local theatres, too, but now I don't like to get near people that much or often, so my rec room works for me.  I think last movie I actually attended was Jurassic Park.  

I'm not good for much after midnight, and sometimes not even after 9 pm; I've dosed off during home movies often enough.  Some affect me just like opera; I'm there for about 15 minutes, then its lights out.  Last one was Spider Man; missed the middle, only coming to at the very end...  I guess I'll pop it back in to see what I didn't.  Probably a guy in tights jumping around a lot.  

You know, I haven't seen Taxi Driver for years, and don't know if I've ever even seen the whole thing.  I was thingking of getting that, if I could find it cheap.  

Ace; you read my mind.  You poor guy.  I guess Trains, Planes and Automobiles is my favorite train wreck movie, if Bubba wants to rate those.  Polka Polka Polka!

Ring bells for service.

Bubba

The number one movie for not being to stay awake while waching:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean,,,, you almost doze off reading the title.

other "classic" movies in no particular order,,,

Citizen Ace
Gone With the Ace
Pulp Ace
The Wizard of Ace
Ace-liens
Ace Gump
Aceheart
The Acercist
Natural Born Aces
Ace-o-lips Now

Ace

Hey; another fave rave.  "Angelheart", with Mickey Rourke.  I've watched that multiple times, and am still amazed at how it's crafted.  With DeNiro as the Devil.  And Lisa Bonet, as, well, a mattress mostly.

I would typically place, here, a list of movie titles playing on the name "Bubba", typically.  If I could think of any, and I wasn't so lazy.  

Perhaps later, or not at all.  Or I'll just go with "Scuzzy", if I could think of any of that, either.  At least my name isn't up in Neon lights.

Ace; I would be more creative if I could, typically.  Maybe next year.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Well if that isn?t just atypically typically atypical or like you say just lazy. Do they even make movies with a character named Bubba? Let me know I?d like to watch it.

I think I rent Heavy Metal tonight and follow it up with Heavy Traffic or Fritz the Cat.
I haven?t watched any of those kinds of shows for a while, and what the heck it?s a new year.

Ace

I'm thinking Bubba was the main character in Forrest Gump.  Or the other guy, on the shrimp boat.  They're coming; they'll be dancing tonight.

Won't you hurry hurry hurry home.

This shall now be the First Poast I Kill This Year. Hoorah.

As it was mine, that's ok.  Wasn't that dang interesting, and didn't even start being about movie reviews, which were.

This year I shall strive to kill more poasts, and not mention Scuzzy being named after his Cat more than last year.  Which was pretty much always.  That, and making a point about his Tiny Feet which are unnaturally small.  They are.

Ace; this year is looking pretty good.  I liked Heavy Metal, but not Fritz the Cat.  Criminy, it brought Sammy Hagar to to the forefront, and Cabo Wabo too.  But I'm still a David Lee Roth fan.

Ace; I'm gonna lose 70 pounds.  Probably by the end of the week.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Ah, you no like da Fritz? It did go where no animation has gone before and perhaps shouldn?t have gone at all.
So?..what about City of Lost Children? Did you get to see that one? I saw it at the cinema with the subtitles. I really enjoyed it, really a feast for the eyes that one.

Just finished watching Blade 2, too much. Just Like trying to kill a poast that won?t die.
Give me the Sound of Music any day.

Oh and if your thinking about dieting here is a little pratical advice.

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: Is beer or wine bad for me?
A: Look, it goes to the earlier point about fruits and vegetables. As we all know, scientists divide everything in the world into three categories: animal, mineral, and vegetable. We all know that beer and wine are not animal, and they are not on the periodic table of elements, so that only leaves one thing, right? My advice: Have a burger and a beer and enjoy your liquid vegetables.

Q: How can I calculate my body fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain -- Good.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening. Food is fried these days in vegetable oil. The fact is they're permeated with it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: What's the secret to healthy eating?
A: Thicker gravy.

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had.

Ace

Well, that makes sense.  I figured eating animals was ok, since they're made out of meat.  I hadn't seen the vegetable connection that well, though, and for that I am grateful.

Seems like everything is a vegetable, and they say you are what you eat, so that makes me... uhm.  Huh.

Ok with it.

I am wondering about the 2 to 1 body/fat ratio part, though.  At least I'm not half the man I used to be.  And as long as my feet are not horribly tiny or disproportionate to the rest of me, I'm thinking I'm doing alright.

All I've had today is coffee, but that's made of beans, which must be a legume, so they're vegetables, so I guess it's like V8.  Well, maybe V1.  

Ace; being a couch potato sounds almost healthy, after that.
Ring bells for service.