• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

my pc reveiw - 640x480 pics

Started by trav, January 07, 2004, 21:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

trav

Yeah, my system wasnt so stable off of the defualt setting :(

You know, on the back of my case, where there are four holes? Thats for sticking a fan, but, i need one thats got a lot of power. Will one fan make a diff? Im NOT up to drilling holes in my case by the way ;)

BTW;
My temps are (with side-panel) 87~89F, is that  high?
without side-panel on, their usualy 79~82
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Mark H

Quote from: Travis F on January 17, 2004, 02:30 hrs

BTW;
My temps are (with side-panel) 87~89F, is that  high?
without side-panel on, their usualy 79~82

Those temperatures are great as long as they are fahrenheit and not Celcius.

As to stability when overclocking, there is more to it than just temperatures. You have to factor in whether your RAM is stable at the higher clock speeds. Your system isn't that condusive to overclocking in my opinion and won't give you any performance improvements you will notice in normal activities.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

trav

Hmmm....well, I left the side panel off last night and went to bed, 5 minutes ago (thats when i wqoke up) i turned mycomputer on, checked my temps, 60F!! I'm running at 910 right now, with sidepanel off of course ;) . Haven't tried any games (my "testing" game is Simpsons - Hit And Run, got this for chrismas and it runs slow at 866)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Chandler

I don't think that you can overclock your system without overclocking the PCI and AGP bus too.  This is usually bad, depending on how tolerant your cards are.

As for your temperature, 60F is very good.

But personally I wouldn't bother.  That speed increase isn't much of a jump to make it noticeable.  A faster graphics card is about the only thing that you can do to make games run faster, short of putting in a new motherboard, faster CPU and memory.

To get up to 910MHz you're running on a 140MHz bus.  This is way out of spec so make sure that your memory can handle that speed.  You may need to knock the timings down to CAS3 (from CAS2) to make it stable.

Depending on how your motherboard works the PCI bus will be running at either 35MHz (slightly out of spec) or 46MHz (way way way too fast).  If it's 46MHz then the AGP is going to seriously overclocked.  This is bound to make your system unstable or even cause damage to the graphics card.

Overclocking:  "It's not big and it's not clever" ;)

Tranquility_Base

lol the overclocking i can do on my MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR with DDR 400 RAM and an Athlon XP 2500+ is making it into a 2700+ by changing the FSB to 180 and raising the multiplier to 12. It gives 2.1 GHz and is totally stable, and my testing was NFS Underground with winamp 5 running in the background and alternating cameras. When i did the same when i overclocked the FSB to 200 and the multi at 11 and got a 3200+, i got random lockups on Underground, but i didnt even change the vcore. Right now i put it back to default. I dont really need the extra speed just yet, which makes spoiling my hardware of little sense.

trav

I put my proseccor back down to defualt (866), i dont need/want to change it as of i dont want to have the side off all the time ;)

trav

Oh, and my AGP is PRO, if you wanted to know or dont know already ;) and 4X