• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Clean install of Win 98

Started by Webmom24, February 29, 2004, 12:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Webmom24

My husband's computer is having serious *issues* and basically won't boot unless ALL startup programs are disabled. I think it's time for a "clean" computer anyway - it's been well over a year - but seem to have lost my instructions for doing a clean install of Win 98. I want to reformat the HD before installing so that I wipe out anything that might be causing the problem. I already have a Win 98 boot disk, but what are the basic steps again to reformat and reinstall? TIA .

--Maureen

Mark H

Boot up on the win 98 boot disk. Once you are at the A: prompt, type format C: to format the drive. You can also repartition it if desired with Fdisk.

The win 98 boot disk should have loaded the CD ROM drivers. Go to the CD rom to access the Windows 98 disk and run the setup program. Windows will take it from there.

Make sure you back up any data you want to keep prior to formatting. You will also need to apply all of the patches to Windows 98 again.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Webmom24

I guess I remembered something about typing "format c: \s" or something to that effect and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something by just formatting. If I want just one partition is there any need to run FDISK? Thanks :)

Mark H

If you want to keep the partitions as they are, you don't need to run fdisk.

You don't need to format with the "/s" switch if installing Windows 98. The Windows 98 setup will take care of installing the complete operating system.

The "/s" switch was needed before installing Windows 3.1.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Webmom24

LOL.. funny the things we remember huh? Thanks Mark :)

~Maureen

miko

or you could just boot to dos and delete the windows and program files folders then reinstall 98