• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Free Downlaod Manager Really Impresses

Started by Whizbang, May 26, 2007, 22:25 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

It is not new, but I had to use a feature in the above program that I had not needed before.  I was trying to download the latest Scientific Linux Live CD from Distrowatch.  The problem was that the server capacity was maxed out with well over 600 downloading the ISO.  I decided to set Free Download Manager to retry after one minute intervals.  That allowed me to "punch in" when the server load took a dip.  I was successful, although the speed is only about 40KB/s due to the congested bandwidth.  The download has stopped several times only to be restarted after several re-tries.  Once again, this little freebie lives up to billing.

Pamela22

yes i am also of the same opinion.

Pamela

Whizbang

The one problem though is that you should disable the restart feature before the download finishes or you may wipe out the download with a fresh restart.   :o

Whizbang

A feature I just tried with great success is the video file conversion option.  Super!  I can now download rare live performances and easily convert them to .avi format.  I suppose even this may not last if the music industry decides that even impromptu performances at obscure places are their property too.

Softix

I do like download manager features whiich download files and convert videos (including flash) faster with open-source Free Download Manager. Its features include integration with all browsers, support of downloads from RapidShare, BitTorrent support, adjusting traffic usage, resuming broken downloads. Adds flash video download, BitTorrent support, upload manager, portable mode and remote control. Version 2.5 build 738 includes unspecified updates.