• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re: Canon S900 Photo Printer

Started by John, June 10, 2002, 15:54 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Scuzzy, all good things to know about the Canon S900. I have been using my Lexmark Z53 for Digital photos as well as plain text printing and it has been a wonderful all around printer. At 2400 X 1200 the photo quality is amazing. On Kodak paper the photo quality is as good as any 35MM I have ever used. I did get rid of the lame Kodak photo software and replaced it with MGI photosuite pro. The photosuite software makes a big difference in manipulating the photos as well as repairing old worn and faded photos.

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

Ace

Must be nice...

Here's the deal I've run into: Got the Canon S520 basically for the new pc but trying to install it on the Q, since my old Okidata basically trashed itself.

I've tried about 20 (really) installs, both with parallel plug I'd been using as well as USB, and cannot get the thing to install per Canon's methods. At no time does the printer get recognized automatically by the connect; I've manually set it to LPT-1, says it installs (but no driver shows in sys. devices) but then it won't do the print head set as it says it can't print to the port...

At least with USB it was recognized as a device, but the thing couldn't see it as a printer at any point (Win95 s.e., so first system to even attempt USB). I'll use the USB once I get a new PC.  I've got a call in to Canon describing the futilities; I've searched for and cleaned out every trace of the Oki, but I'm wondering if somehow it left its remains on the LPT-1 and that shows as already having drivers installed there... I did try the Windows install, both add printer and hardware (which Canon says not to) but that didn't work either. Main problem is that it can't find drivers off CD. Tried to capture the port, but that did nothing. I've gotten the desktop shortcut, got it registered, got it to say driver's loaded, but no go in actuality.

Looking forward to trying this on a new system, as I'm starting to think it ain't gonna be on the current one...  Sounds like the S900 is swell; poast a picture or something so we can mock I mean see.

Ace; if I had a hammer....

Ring bells for service.

dastls

Scuzzy,

I went with the Hp PhotoSmart P1000  when I replaced my old Epson printer.

Thee more I use it the better I like it. It has larger than normal ink cartridges but still run about the same price. Printer has 2 slots in the side to accept both types of digital camera memory cards. You can program which picture, how many copies, paper type, etc through the panel on the printer and print your pictures without turning on the PC.(a good option for my wife who is not that computer capable). You can also use these slots as readers and access the pictures as a computer drive. HP software for handling pictures is not that great but I use JASC Paint Shop Pro anyway. I have created pictures on this printer that looked better than the origionals. I teamed this up with a HP 318 digital camera. I also have a Dazzle that I pull pics from my Soney Handycam. Definetly no more film or trips to have photos developed here.

Dave in the Midwest

scuzzy

dastls,

I'm not familiar with the P1000, but you certainly paint a great picture for it. Every printer I have owned had the HP label attached to it, with the exception of my first printer some 10 years ago. I have always had good experiences with my HP printers, and have no complaints. My current HP LaserJet 6P has been chugging along for over 4 years now, and it still performs like brand new.

However, when I was looking for a photo printer, I was immediately impressed with Canon's high quality photo prints, as well as the individual ink cartridges. Printing an 8x10 in a hair over a minute really helped in convincing that this was the printer for us. The many excellent reviews it received didn't hurt, either. So far, we're very pleased.

Regardless, I'm glad you found something you're so happy with. After all, that's what we all strive for.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

Ace,

Have you tried using a hammer? That might work.

Otherwise, try removing all references to LPs in Device Manager, and reboot the computer. Windows will then replace them with CDs, or at least cassettes. Oh, wait a minute... you wrote "LPT-1", not "LP"... hah! Oh well, same concept. Just make sure you delete something.

If that doesn't work, send the computer to me here at Poasters Computer Forums. I'll fix it and return it to you at a nominal charge (approx. 120 volts, or 35psi, whichever comes first).

Okay then, I'm glad I could help.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor