• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

anti virus

Started by ahopeter, March 27, 2004, 01:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

hello everyone, quick antivirus question...
i was using the net when i got a message that said that a virus had been detected and that i should use my antivirus program to remove it (couldnt read everything the message went away on its own).  well i opened up AVG free edition that i had been using for awhile now, and wanted to update the program but the AVG control Center wouldnt let me saying that a net connection could not be detected...my net is definitely connected.  now i am worried that i might really have a virus!  

i was hoping someone could give me some suggestion on how to detect if i have a virus

can i just remove AVG and reinstall?

is Panda active scan good enough to detect this? does it need updating?

thanks so much everyone, i really rely on this forum for help...everyone here has really helped me and never let me down...thanks soooo muc!
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

onewire

I don't know why (with free version there is no support), but for the last couple of weeks the update tie-in has been extremely slow.  There is no need to reinstall, just keep trying, possibly in off-peak hours. You will eventually connect.  What is happening is you are timing out.  The transfer rate has also been extremely slow.  
If you keep doing what you been doing, you keep getting the same results you been getting.

ahopeter

oh okay thanks.

umm posted the error message on another posting...but basically it states that AVG found a virus...i ran Panda active scan and it found nothing?!? any suggestions on what i can do?! thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

onewire

If you haven't updated AVG yet keep trying until you get it.  Assuming you are running XP make sure system restore is turned off before running the scan.  If AVG detects a virus it will tell you what virus it is then you can proceed from there.  AVG will heal some viruses, but some have to be manually removed.  Good luck.
If you keep doing what you been doing, you keep getting the same results you been getting.

johnamazing

AVG got through to update yesterday. For three days it was not connecting due to server traffic or net conditions.
Just be patient and try another time. Nothing wrong with AVG.  I use it and recommend it.
John Amazing from US of A-mazing

ahopeter

thanks for the replies and recommendations... i appreciate it.  

how can i manually remove the virus?  thank you.

johnamazing

I don't know what AVG did about the virus, but you can run a full hard drive virus scan on AVG by right clicking on the loaded AVG icon. (It will be on the lower right bar near the clock and has four colors in a square: yellow, black, red and green, starting upper left and going clockwise.)
After right click, choose RUN AVG ANTI-VIRUS.
Choose RUN COMPLETE TEST.

See what it detects and then ferret out what to do about it, based on what is found and what it says to do next.  Look at TEST RESULTS.  If it can be removed by the current AVG, it will say so.

If it requires a special tool and/or procedure, it might say go to their web site for that information.

John Amazing

ahopeter

johnamazing...thanks, i finally got through to update on AVG.  i ran a test like you recommended and its says that no viurses detectd? but the error message said AVG detected a virus? huh? what happened, thanks again.

johnamazing

Looks like AVG cleaned the virus and left that message.
I never had a virus since running AVG.
Had some while running Norton AV and PC-Cillan AV. I recall seeing a running log on those, if distant memory serves.

I downloaded my AVG from the European .CZ site and now all my updates are from there.
I am considering taking the time to un-install AVG and download afresh from the USA site. Then the updates will be from here and won't get bogged down in Atlantic Ocean traffic. LOL
John A