• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Need some Help..

Started by Zeph, December 23, 2003, 18:52 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeph

Hey..

I have an Advent 6418 laptop. Within a few minutes every time of loading AOL 8.0 my laptop shuts down!..A blue screen with white writing flashes up b4 it shuts down, but it is too fast too read!

Any ideas??..As this is well annoying and stopping me using the internet with it..

Cheers.

query

What operating system are you running (and if it's an NT-based OS - NT/2000/XP), what's in the event logs?

Zeph

hi,

I am using XP. How do i check the event logs?..Or is this it:

When the laptop re-started the error box came up. I clicked view tech report and it says this:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122403-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\zeph\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

query

The event log viewer is in the control panel (under computer management/administrative tools).

Are you up to date on XP patches, and do you have current, working, antivirus and firewall software?

Zeph

I'm not up to date on XP patches etc..but the PC has just had a fresh install..so there should be no problems.

It used to work b4..then when i came home now for xmas and re-installed AOL it just shuts down like above. With the quick flash of the blue screen..

I just cannot understand it, It works fine with every thing else bar aol..the event log just has a System Error thing in it..

Zeph

the problem may be with my modem drivers..it is a Smartlink 56k Modem, Ver.2.90.00

Anyone know where i can get the latest drivers?..Also anyone know where i can get the latest mobo drivers/bios for the advent 6418 laptop?

I downloaded the latest modem drivers from the smartlink site, but it is a 03-MV-WIN2K-XP[1] File!!..how do i use it????

Cheers

query

Do not put the system onto the Internet until you have installed Service Pack 1 and at least the MS Blaster RPC patches - if you do, you're likely to find your machine shutting down almost imediately on connection.

If you are connected to the Net when the system shuts down, I'd guess you are probably blaster-infected.  See www.antivirus.com for assistance cleaning up the issue.

Zeph

naa..deffo not that. As i did a complete formatting of my HDD and re-installed everything..it is crashing when AOL searches for my  modem...the blue screen flashes and the laptop restarts.

I have had the blaster on my PC and i know what it does..

query

Is everything other than AOL working?

Zeph

yes, everything other than AOL works fine..i have re-installed AOL countless times..it used to work fine. It's just now when you search for the modem to connect it does the above..

Zeph

sorted now!

I found a site that said the smartlink modem drivers have compatability issues with AOL and make the com restart..

I managed to find compatable drivers...yeeEee..thanks for all the help anyway.