• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

TP A21P - Faulty motherboard?

Started by boehm, April 11, 2003, 11:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

boehm

Dear Thinkpad-expert,

I hope you can help me.
I have own an IBM ThinkPad A21P-H2U. But unfortunately some parts of the keyboard and the TrackPoint mouse are not react if I hit some keys or push the TrackPoint. Since this time the TrackPoint-program does not run and I also could install a new TrackPoint driver. I have checked the keyboard already and it is not broken and works great.
In the first place, I called the IBM Support and they advised me to update the BIOS before I have to replace the motherboard at my expense.
The update could not help to solve the problem.
Well, I guess I have to replace the motherboard, in case you have another solution?
If not, did one of you exchange the motherboard and could give me some information? How difficult is it? Did an instruction exist?
In advance I will thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

boehm

query

Have you tried an external keyboard to rule out a keyboard or connector problem?

If so, and you've updated the BIOS -- a repair shop may be in order.  Replacing the mainboard in many laptops requires very delicate work, and may try the patience of a saint -- if you haven't done it before, check the service manual for instructions.  Often times, special tools are required, and there's almost always a very definite sequence to follow in dismantling and reassembling the notebook.

boehm

Dear query,

to limit the problem, I had tried to use an external keyboard, but it was not satisfactory. Alone with a normal PS/2-keyboard from a desktop pc was no access possible.
However this changed, when I switched a PS/2-Y-Adapter between them. When I left a break between hitting different keys it works great. I also installed another keyboard (IBM) for my notebook but the problem was still there. So it could be possible that there is a damage on the connector and I guess still have to change the whole motherboard, or ????
Beside them, there is another mystery for example: if I hit the ?Z? key then the Z and also the Enter key appears / works. Or, when I hit the ?S? key the S and the J appears at the same time.
I can?t understand how this works.
I wanna thank you in advance for your help and kindness and appreciate your time to help me to use my notebook again.

Best wishes,

boehm