• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Hard drive in Quantex laptop

Started by sunny2, July 14, 2002, 18:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny2

Hi, I have a Quantex TS30H  laptop. I believe the hard drive may be failing. It is making a clicking noise. I would like to replace the drive myself but have never opened a laptop and am wondering how.  Also what drive should I get to replace the one I have? Can you recommend a good place to get a new one?   While I am replacing the drive I would like to add more ram and am wondering if it is possible with this model. I have 48.0 MB now. Thank you.

query

I seem to recall this being the same notebook as the Dell Inspiron 7000 series, which means the hard drive is easily removeable (it's in a carrier that unfastens from the bottom of the machine with a couple of screws).  The drive mounts in the carrier with four more screws - easy to replace.  You'll find 20 GB drives in the 2.5" form factor for under $100 - try www.mwave.com.

Check with Crucial (www.crucial.com) to see what the memory maximum is.

John

Sunny2, welcome to Poasters Forums.  What operating system are you using.  What is the size of the current hard drive.  For products go to www.portablecomputer.com  or to www.3klix.com  
Cogito Ergo Sum

sunny2

Thank you both so much for your replies. I am running windows 98 and I have a 3.0 GB drive now. I would like to replace it with a 10.0

John

sunny2, that should not pose a problem.  If you have your manual look to it for how to upgrade your hard drive and install memory.  Both should not be a problem if you are so inclined.  If you feel intimidated by it then by all means take it to a professional.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

sunny2

John

Sunny, you are most welcome.  There are many more places out there to get parts for your computer.  The one's we listed are just a few of the many.  In order to help your search for things computer or for what ever reason try this search engine Google .  Came back and visit anytime and tell your friends about us.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

sunny2

John, Thank you. I have been coming here and learning for a while but had to register with a new user name and password because I forgot mine :) I love this board. You are all so helpful and I do tell other people about it. I do use google it is the best search engine I have found. I just started a job in tech support and love it. I am learning linux right now. WOW. Very different than Windows. I have a few sights I visit when I am not sure of an answer and this is one of them. Thank you again.
Sunny