• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Quantex laptop won't power up

Started by bernd, July 20, 2002, 15:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

bernd

I've owned a Quantex N30W-15 since March of 2000.  I recently changed the OS to Windows XP Pro since I was having problems getting my XP (home) desktop and my office network to work with the Windows 98se that was on the computer before. Before I changed the OS I installed a second 128 MB RAM module (PNY PC133) to total 256 MB RAM.  After installing XP Pro everything worked great for about 3 days.  One morning I was simply unable to boot up - I had made no changes at all for several startup - shutdowns before this.  
When I press the power button, the left light comes on and I hear the hard drive spin up, then stop after a few seconds.  The screen does not come on, and nothing further happens. I tried leaving the computer unplugged and/or without batttery for it to reset itself, but to no avail.  I tried to use a startup disk, but the computer did not access the floppy before stopping.  I tried to connect the network cable but no activity on the cable showed.  It starts, spins and stops. The light stays on, but nothng happens no matter what. - I have to press the reccessed reset button to deactivate the computer. I also tried with just battery, but no luck. Any guesses?

Bernd

query

If you have a second AC power brick, try that to rule out a faulty power supply.  Failing that, it's time to take it in or send it off for service - something internal has failed and needs replacing.  It could be any one of a few things (power board, mainboard, etc.) - but it's not likely field-repairable.

dcsun

Query's suggestion sounds like the way to go.  The other thought I had was perhaps the memory.  Try removing the memory that was recently added.  If that doesn't work, try removing the old one and putting the new one in its place.  Failing that, it's probably time to send it away to be repaired.

David