• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Problem Installing Win 2K on Sony Laptop

Started by Zero, October 12, 2003, 06:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

OK This is my problem. I am interested in buying some of the new Sony Vaio range laptops. My problem is they come with XP on them and as such come with an XP recovery disk. I want to install Win 2000 Pro on these laptops but I have driver problems as the recoverery disk does not have a drivers folder that I can use to get rid of any exclamation marks in device manager!!! They have a Nvidia Geforce 420 Go (Sony) graphics display adapter, but I downloaded the driver and it would not work. I suppose what I am saying is, how do I get Win 2K on these laptops and install all the nessessary drivers without a standard driver utilities disk. These recovery disks are a little limited if you want to change OS. Any ideas how to get round this problem.

query

First make sure there are 2000 drivers for all the  hardware (chipset, video, etc.)  Many new notebooks do not come with anything other than XP drivers.

Also be aware that downgrading the OS to 2000 will void your tech support with Sony - they will support only what they ship with the system.

There aren't enough differences between XP and 2000 to justify the downgrade - once you turn off the XP interface (go back to classic mode), Windows XP appears as exactly what it is - just a revised release of WIndows 2000.