• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Battery problem on my Compaq

Started by ZiroCool, March 30, 2003, 16:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ZiroCool

Hi, i have a battery problem on my Compaq Presario 17XL 470..
Every time I disconnect my AC Adapter (power supply), my computer works like for five minutes and then shutdown without any worning and etc..
If I disconnect my computer from the AC Adapter it says in the battery tray icon that there is 100% of battery.... 99%.. 98%, and like in the 97% or 96, it shutdown.. (like when you take out the power cable on your Desktop computer...

What to do ?
is it a program problem, or a hardware? (battery).. please help me!

p.s. , I'm using Windows 2000 Pro..
THANKS!
"you can sit at home and do like absolutely nothing.. ..and your name goes through like seventeen computers a day..."

query

How old is the system/battery?  Lithium batteries will last through about 300 charge cycles or 2-3 years before they won't hold a charge very long.

If the system works OK on AC power, and the battery does charge - and it's a couple of years old -- it's time for a new battery.

ZiroCool

My computer is 1 years old..
maybe year and a half, but not older..
What it could be?
Battery costs a lot, if I will buy, I want to be sure that its the battery problem..
or maybe bios problem ?! need upgrade ?
I dont know..
"you can sit at home and do like absolutely nothing.. ..and your name goes through like seventeen computers a day..."

query

It could still be a dying battery - even if your computer has a 3-year warranty, the battery is probably covered for only one year (there's a reason for that ...)

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters

I would suspect, as Query did, that the battery is just at or near the end of its useful life.  One other possibility is that Windows and the hardware have just gotten out of sync (which my notebook does on occasion), and it is shutting down to save your data thinking that it's almost out of batteries.  

You can check by leaving it on outside of Windows (either at the bios screen, or have it do something in MS-DOS after booting from a boot disk).  If it doesn't shut off for quite a while, you know it's just Windows.  If it still shuts off, it's almost certainly the battery.

To correct the Windows problem (if it turns out to be the problem), you need to leave it on in Windows with all the battery notifications and actions off, and drain the battery as far as possible until the machine actually shuts off.  Then charge it back up again and the two should be in sync again.

If you end up needing a battery, shop around on the internet for the best prices, as there will likely be a big difference between some places.  Just make sure you know the company you're dealing with if it's an internet-based one, and use something like ResellerRatings.com to check out their track record.

ZiroCool

You right.. why I didnt thought about it..
I will check.. thank you!