• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Computer restarting on it's own

Started by willybones42, January 09, 2003, 14:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

willybones42

Hey there, I have a custom built desktop pc,p3-667 with 128 MB ram. It restarts itself every few minutes.i have checked cpu fan...cleaned dust out...replaced the power supply.It also ticks before boot up...and i can't upgrade IE without locking myself out of everything...nothing will open.

seemed to work last night while cover was off...but now ding it again. It had a viruse that i got cleaned off.Please help me
Frustrated

query

First - run a full scandisk, and a full scan of your system with up to date antivirus software and a spyware remover.

Then ...

Does it do the same when running in Safe Mode?  If so, you probably have a hardware problem - start by reseating the RAM and if accessible, the CPU and hard drive.

If that doesn't work, then a service call is likely in order.

If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode - you have two options - disable as much as possible from starting up and then add things back  one at a time until the problem reappears, or remove things one at a time until the problem disappears.

willybones42

Oh forget to say..i am running win98 SE.
Thank you i'll try your suggestions tonight.

willybones42

ok i have checked and cleaned fans...swapped ram,power supplies,hard drives, mouse....ran antivirus and scandisk.
sounds like the prob is the cpu...i get a message...cpu is unworkable of has been changed...at boot up but not all the time.
 ???

query

Sounds like the CPU has migrated out of its socket -  you might try reseating it (sometimes just pressing down on the keyboard toward the upper right hand side will help, though disassembling the system for a visual inspection might be a worthy idea.

willybones42

ok checked everything i can think of.....reseated all the cards and parts...replaced or swapped everything...unhooked the exterior gadgets...still rebooting

query

Are you certain the system you have supports that CPU?  There are a number of older PII/PIII systems that will not support Coppermine CPUs (all those over 600 MHz and the ones below that with the -E designation)?

willybones42

yes certain it is...it's an abit vh6mobo...and it has been workin fine for 2 years as it was...

query

Check with ABit for a possible BIOS update (or did you upgrade the BIOS before the problem started).

The other thing to do is replace the CMOS battery - a failing battery can cause spurious errors like those you're seeing.

willybones42

ok lost now...took everything out...flashed the bios...reseated the cpu....the ticking is still there as well as it rebooting...maybe my cpu is toasted?

willybones42

yes this MB supports this cpu...has worked for 2 years then all of a sudden this problem.Also checked the compatability with the abit page.

query

ABit has had a significant number of problems with faulty capacitors on its mainboards - check them to see if any appear to be leaking electrolyte (they the cylindrical devices near the CPU socket and power connectors).

The problem with the capacitors appears within 18 months-2 years or so of age - so your board would be right on target for failing capacitors.

Check with ABit for a possible replacement, but last I saw they were not extending warranties to cover the capacitor problem - in which case a new mainboard is a relatively inexpensive solution.

willybones42

Hey guys...thank you for the help...i was triple checking everything and when i checked the battery again it seemed a lil loose...so i bent the clip a lil to make the connection tight and it worked...the puter hasn't shut down at all for 8 hours...yayyyyyyyy
again, thank you...this is a great site ;D